Looking for Case Advice

May 5, 2019, 9:30 PM · So I am looking to acquire a new case. I currently use a Bobelock shaped plywood case which I have had for years. I really like this case, but it is beginning to fall apart, and I would like to find something maybe a bit lighter. I want to find a shaped case that has room for a Wolf shoulder rest. I currently have my Wolf sitting beneath the head of my violin in the Bobelock case if that gives any input as to its size. These are the cases that I have been considering. Any information of this would be appreciated. Thank you.

There are two Crossrock cases that I have looked at, one that is somewhat shaped, the CRF3000, and one that is more traditionally shaped, the CRF4000. Both of these look good, though for some reason the 4000 is usually significantly less expensive.

The Gewa Air 1.7 cases. I have heard very good things about these, but I am not sure that a Wolf rest would fit in one.

Jakob Winter cases. There are two variations of these, one with a section at the bottom for a shoulder rest, and one without this. However, I remember seeing another violinist with one of these and thinking that the top seemed a but flimsy. Is this always the case?

I have been avoiding consideration of BAM cases because of their very high price point, and I have not heard particularly positive things about them, (melting seems to be a known issue).

Galaxy cases. These cases copy the BAM design, but I cannot find much input on their quality.

Core shaped cases. Similar to the Galaxy cases, though much cheaper, and I still can't find much input on them.

Tonareli cello shaped cases. These are interesting, but almost seem too compact. Not sure that a Wolf would fit in their compartment.

Replies (10)

Edited: May 6, 2019, 10:07 AM · Have you considered the new Musafia Lievissima? I haven't seen that in particular, but have always liked products from that shop.
And at $540, this one is a lot less expensive than its stable-mates.

http://musafia.com/lievissima.html

http://musafia.com/available.html

May 6, 2019, 9:25 AM ·
If you you are after a lightweight case carbon-fiber seems the way many people go now, but I have my doubts about the crush resistance of CF cases. Carbon fiber materials are very strong in tension, but not in compression, but it could be the instrument cases are sufficient to withstand any crushing likely to occur. (In my "previous life" I had a lot of experience with carbon-fiber rocket motor cases.) Nevertheless, a number of my violin colleagues have bought BAMs in the past few years.

I have (and have had) a number of violin and viola cases including 2 Musafias, 2 Jaegers, Bobelocks, and some no-names. I also have some cello cases including one fiberglass case and one BAM High-Tech (carbon fiber) and one wooden hatch-top that is too heavy for real people to carry and too big for any reasonable vehicle to load - but it is great for in-house safety, since it acts as a practical cello stand (but when I bought it I was 40 years younger and stronger).

Dollar for dollar I find Bobelock hard to beat. My preference is for oblong cases that can hold 4 bows and lots of stuff. But I do have one shaped Musafia violin case (their DART model) that I purchased in 2001 for a trip.

The only problem I have found with one of my Bobelock cases is with the mechanism that keeps the lid from opening too far - this happened to my Bobelock viola case. The mechanism failed and the lid flipped backward hitting the lid of the BAM viola case behind it on the same table, which hit that violist's hand as she was putting her viola back into her case. My case's problem was easily fixed with a strip of ribbon and two staples that I used to make a new lid restraint.

Of course I love my Musafia cases, but I would not recommend one to a person who is concerned about the cost of their case. Musafia does have some unique design features, that take care of some issues that other case designers to not appear to have considered.

May 6, 2019, 9:35 AM · If you're still considering a Gewa 1.7 Air, here's a link to a pic of how my old Wolf Forte Secundo (barely) fits in. I've wrapped the shoulder rest in a light colored cloth to give some visual contrast. In fact, because it's such a tight fit, I do use a cloth to buffer the whole scroll area of the violin.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28hwlvvm6zumka2/IMG_1817.jpg?dl=0

Edited: May 6, 2019, 10:47 AM · I second Holly's experience with the Gewa Air 1.7 - Wolf Forte Secondo combo. It's a tight fit but I never bother to put my shoulder rest in the case as I always have a carry bag for the music, stand light etc. I prefer that to putting all my musical possessions and more into an oblong case. A soft briefcase (with shoulder strap) + Gewa shaped case makes for a light combo. The Gewa Air case does open up completely, which some people don't like. I personally prefer that myself as I have had the cover falling off on my instrument while putting it away in the past with other style cases, especially when in a tight greenroom where cases are bumping onto each others while setting up as Andrew pointed out.
Edited: May 7, 2019, 1:07 AM · I took a look at the photo. If the shoulder rest is in contact with both the pegs and the side of the case as it appears to be, with no wiggle room, that would almost guarantee damage to the instrument should the case be subjected to impact in that area.

Much better would be to carry the rest separately as Roger suggests.

May 7, 2019, 9:47 AM · Thanks, Dimitri. I appreciate your feedback. It's not exactly touching but probably too close for comfort. There's usually a Korfkerrest that "lives" in that spot. It's flatter and affords more clearance for the pegs... but I'll have my luthier take a look at the damage potential next time I'm there.
May 7, 2019, 11:16 PM · Thank you all for your advice. I have been speaking to a few people about the likelihood effectively having the Wolf in an Air 1.7 and have gotten a variety of responses. Someone suggested having it positioned under the scroll of the instrument. It would slightly lift the head, but not too much? Especially since I don't have mine too bent?

At this point, I am definitely leaning toward the Gewa as that has been recommended the most by far. I just need to come to a conclusion about whether or not the rest can fit. I'm going to be traveling quite a bit with this case, so I would rather not have to hold it separately. I do keep my instrument in a silk bag, so I'm not so worried about scratching, but as Dimitri pointed out, it may damage it if the case takes a hit. If possible I will try to find one in may area so I can actually test it with my set up. Thank you all again.

May 8, 2019, 2:03 AM · Does the Wolf fold flat? Perhaps it could go in the music pocket.
May 8, 2019, 12:39 PM · Hey Griffith,

I am not sure about the availibility of cases in the U:S:, but Ill be pretty straightforward. I cannot help you directly how to buy a case, because 1. I don't live in the U.S., and 2. I cannot participate in advertising any makers or recommendations, and I don't have a clue about internet data regarding your question.

I am also looking for a case. One, that where my new shoulder rest fits in. It's kinda getting like a blog out the window, this whole site, nobody answering questions.

Soo, I actually lost my shoulder rest. It disappeared. On a full spherical bright moon night, I was actually pondering about the possibilities of a nuclear war, and yet, in small scale it is like that, like paganini hourling from the chimney, that you're playing awful. Every decade has it's symptomous doxams, and a lot are correlated with violin playing in a nonlinear way. That is, and this makes sense, that more and more people play the violin in the same bad way, and psychotic illnesses did not increase, as that from data of the link between psychosis and cannabis use.

So.. that answered, I hope, I don't know about the case, but getting a shoulder rest is more important.

If I play without one, it is possible, we figured it out, but then you have to start holding it in a certain variation that of the left hand technique, and more like a Galamian hold, the right hand.

And you don't sqeeze just with the chin and the shoulder, which is just a workaround.

So, a violin case is very expensive, and you have to get the right one.

Hope I could help, Krisztian

May 13, 2019, 3:56 PM · The Bam Hightech is expensive (wait for the Shar 20% sale before you buy) but I have been happy. The case is relatively light (about 4.5 pounds with straps), the body is strong enough to stand on and the straps and hardware are durable. I did have a latch fail and Bam's service department was good enough to send a new latch, which had to be attached with a small rivet gun. I have the dart model which BARELY fits a shoulder rest -- a lot of shoulder rests wouldn't make it in. That is something to consider.

For my viola I have the Jakob Winter "Greenline" which is a plastic case with kind of a fabric-like exterior surface. It is lightweight and not super rigid (I think it would crush if I stepped on it.) but well made, looks like and is relatively inexpensive.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases