G. Biegendorfer violin

Edited: May 4, 2019, 7:45 PM · My daughter is an advanced student and we are evaluating several fine instruments from a reputable shop right now and one of them is a 1904 German violin labeled G. Biegendorfer. Is anyone familiar with this maker’s work as I am having very little luck finding any info online. Odd to me for an instrument in this price range >$15k. Thanks,
Donald

Replies (11)

Edited: May 4, 2019, 9:40 PM · If you're spending more than $15K on this violin, please be sure to do your due diligence about its provenance, authenticity, etc., etc. That is a lot of money and you don't want to find out, when the time comes to sell it or trade it in for an upgrade, that it was actually not worth that much.

Even "reputable shops" have been known to put a very fine shine on an instrument.

May 5, 2019, 4:31 AM · At auction Bromptons estimated a sale price of 4-6,000 british pounds in 2014. Thus, the sale price you see now is probably in the right ball park (assuming it is real as ME cautioned).

Please be aware that the price of a violin and its playing qualities are only loosely related; the price is often much more set by its collectability. Since G. Biegendorfer is not particularly well known this may actually work in your favor in this case.

May 5, 2019, 12:29 PM · Biegendorfer seems to be a complete mystery, not even getting a mention in Jalovec's 2-volume Encyclopedia of Violin-Makers. Apart from the one advertised by Brompton's (their records don't show whether or not it found a buyer) a different one is advertised for sale by Robertson violins, but I expect you know all this. No matter how "fine" (Brompton's description), to venture in excess of $15K would seem like madness to me.
May 5, 2019, 12:53 PM · Anybody knows if it's listed in the Fuchs Taxe?
May 5, 2019, 4:25 PM · Mary Ellen, that’s mostly why I’m here, on the journey of doing due dilligence. The shop is very reputable, nationally known and I do not question their integrity. I do plan to ask their knowledge of this maker and any additional info, I’m just trying to find my own as well. Thanks,
Donald
May 5, 2019, 4:28 PM · Steve,

The Robertson’s is the one we are trialing and it is extremely comparable to in sound and workmanship as similar priced fine violins we are trialing. I’m just dumbfounded at the lack of information available about the maker! Thanks,
Donald

May 5, 2019, 5:18 PM · That's presumably because he made his violins by hand instead of mass produced with the label of the distributor like so many German brands.
May 5, 2019, 6:48 PM · Thanks Lyndon, that’s explanation that makes sense to me!
May 8, 2019, 5:19 PM · Following up on this one more time to see if anyone has an answer to Nuuska’s question “Anybody knows if it's listed in the Fuchs Taxe?” Thanks
Edited: May 8, 2019, 7:32 PM · No, it isn't, but the Fuch Taxe is a rather general guide and doesn't have many, many of the lesser makers. Also, in order to have something in a "price guide" it requires a reasonable number of examples to use. Right now, all that we know is that you have a violin that has a label in it with the name "Biegendorfer".
If it sounds good, is in good condition, and you trust the shop that you are dealing with, please consider that instruments in this price range are tools of the trade, not investment vehicles. If it gets you to the next level/place, then the name inside doesn't really matter.
May 8, 2019, 8:12 PM · Will they give you 100% the sale value for a trade in on a purchase later (assuming of course that its more expensive)? If so, then you know its a reasonable price. If not you may want an independent valuation.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra