Trying to identify a string

May 3, 2019, 10:22 AM · I'm trying to identify some various strings I have lying loose around. I've reached one that I'm not seeing in any ID charts.

Ball end is yellow/gold with dark red winding. Peg end is dark red. It is not a Zyex. Zyex is orange with a brighter red winding. I can't find it on any charts I've looked at. Looks like most likely an A string, possibly a D.

I was trying out some A strings to see how they sounded but did not immediately return them to an envelope when I took them off.

Any ideas? Or know where the most comprehensive string ID guide is? I've tried ViolinStringReview.com and lashofviolins.com.

Replies (8)

May 3, 2019, 11:58 AM · It could be a Golden Spiral G (not made anymore).

Could you send a photo?

May 3, 2019, 1:34 PM · You were trying out some strings. Which ones did you try? That should narrow down the choice a bit.
Edited: May 3, 2019, 2:56 PM · It could have been one on a fiddle that was taken off, and which I no longer know what it was. I tested Infeld Blue (A) , Vision Titanium Solo (A) which got installed, Tzigane (A) , Flexocor (D) .

Strings removed were Evah Pirazzi, and some mishmash of strings from a fiddle that I didn't put on. I think two were Chromocor.

Where could I post a photo that could be retrieved here?

May 3, 2019, 6:31 PM · https://www.thesoundpost.com/en/string-charts
May 3, 2019, 7:06 PM · Thanks Rocky, that solved it. The Flexocor D was the culprit.
May 3, 2019, 7:15 PM · See, this is why gut strings are superior. You take one look at the thing and you say "yep, that's gut".
And BOOM. You know what it is and where it came from.
Edited: May 3, 2019, 9:01 PM · Just like when I see your name on a post, I KNOW it is of serious intent. BOOM. Seriously. ;-)

Let's just say, unlike gut, you're not sheepish.

May 5, 2019, 3:24 PM · The https://www.thesoundpost.com/en/string-charts website is not exhaustive - not that we could ever expect any such website to list every one of the multitude of strings past and present - it doesn't appear to have the Warchal brand.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases