Who is onofre pomar?

Edited: April 29, 2019, 2:29 PM · Anyone knows who is Onofre Pomar? I recently bought a bow stamped with his name. Do you know which kind of bows ( german, french) are stamped with that name?

Replies (6)

April 30, 2019, 4:37 PM · This definitely doesn't makes any sense in german language. Has to be anything else. Maybe Esperanto...?
April 30, 2019, 4:40 PM · There seem to be Spanish folks with this name.
April 30, 2019, 5:13 PM · Hello, i found a violin bow stamped with the name of: ONOFRE POMAR BARCELONA. I showed it to many violin friends and luthiers and they think it could be a french or german bow, made in the 1900 more or less. I made some research and I found he was a luthier and he worked in Barcelona between 1903 and 1930. I read that he took several bows from france and he stamped them. Thats what i wanted to know if someone heard that name before and which kind of bows could had bought in the past. I would post some photos of the bow, but I don’t know how I can do that...
Edited: April 30, 2019, 5:58 PM · Or, everyone can go over to maestronet, where you've posted the same inquiry--you could supply a link to those photos, in any case. It seems like you are getting useful information there, are you not?
May 1, 2019, 3:59 AM · Yeah! I am getting useful info but i’m not sure of what could be!! And i asked for the author in this case. Here you have the link in maestronet in case you want to help me: https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/342571-old-french-violin-bow-probably-what-could-be/
Edited: May 2, 2019, 3:55 AM · Well, it does make sense in Spanish. Onofre is an old and fairly uncommon masculine name these days. Pomar is a surname which makes reference to... apples. There are some little towns in Spain with "Pomar" on its name because they were typically places in which apples were grown.

As for Onofre Pomar, I can't really help you. I've done a quick google search in Spanish. And it's mentioned as a deceased Spanish luthier, along with other names, but there's almost no information available. All of the blogs and webpages who mention him link to a nonexistent wikipedia page. There's a bit more info about him in Catalan, but I don't speak it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra