General estimated repair time for neck reset

April 29, 2019, 12:16 PM · Dear All,

A friend is coming to visit in NYC in June, and he has a limited time window to have his violin repaired (a little more than a week). It most likely needs a neck reset, given the information we were given some years ago. This repair cannot be done locally where he lives by anyone. What would you recommend for him to do? Was told recently the repair may take quite a bit longer than the time he will be here-not sure what should I tell him, but any suggestions by luthiers or players with experience having this sort of repair done on their instruments will be quite welcome.

Many thanks in advance for any possible help.

Sincerely,

AV

Replies (10)

April 29, 2019, 12:20 PM · IIRC, it took four days when I had mine done, with an appointment.
April 29, 2019, 12:30 PM · A neck lift, not complete reset, is about a two day job, but that doesn't take into account the backlog of repairs ahead of yours the shop might have.
April 29, 2019, 12:41 PM · UPS does ship violins. I had mine shipped to Potter's and back, it was fine. However that probably did not involve air transport, and if it did, it would have been a very short flight (under an hour). I did receive a violin from another dealer (mistakenly) but it was fine too. (I got a return label from the dealer and sent it back.)

I know what Lyndon means about a backlog of repairs, but if you have made an appointment well in advance for a specific repair to be done, then I think the shop should be honoring that commitment as its highest priority.

April 29, 2019, 12:56 PM · USPS is more reliable with violins than UPS, less likely to be damaged.
April 29, 2019, 2:27 PM · Thank you-I will try contacting other shops in case the one I went to wasn't transparent with me about their backlog work. The "one month" repair time did seem like an stretch to me-as if they rather not deal with it.

Hard to find non-busy shops in NYC, however. Was hoping to book an appointment more than one month in advance.

Edited: April 29, 2019, 3:22 PM · You'll probably have to drop it off and have it mailed to you when it is finished. USPS insures up to $3000 I think.
April 29, 2019, 8:54 PM · Not my violin; thankfully I live in the area. Hope my friend can get someone here to work on his instrument.

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts.

April 30, 2019, 4:33 AM · AV, a lot will depend on what all needs to be done, and the method used. It might be a fairly simple job, or may involve a lot of peripheral work. The luthier won't really have a way of knowing until they examine it.
April 30, 2019, 7:08 AM · Could you possibly ship the violin before your trip and pick it up,reset
completed, while you were in town? You might be able to get a commitment from the shop and explain the situation and time frame. You would have to use another instrument in during the procedure.
April 30, 2019, 9:51 AM · Ideally, you would want to do your shipping before repairs for the obvious reasons. While I have never shipped an instrument, I have used UPS and USPS for very high valued items for the past thirty years. In my experience UPS has been better with insurance claims, reliability, and tracking for both international and domestic shipments. Make sure you follow the shipping guidelines of the shipper. Over insure if possible. It isn't always about damage. Think in terms of becoming completely lost.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra