Chinrest in German and Swedish? Looking for Flat Flesch 1/4

April 22, 2019, 9:38 AM · Hello,

I wonder if some German or Swedish speaking violinist could help me with this one. What is chinrest in both of those laguages?

The thing is Im looking for Flat Flesch 1/4 chinrest for my girl and I havent found it anywhere except Ebay and just asked for posting costs and they said 55 euros plus the 17 euros for the chinrest. On top of that I would have to pay taxes. So quite too much sadly :(

How an eath can it be so much? Its quite a small package anyway and I have never come accross UPS taking so much for post and package.

So I thought of trying to find it from German or Sweden. I can cope with both languages but I have no idea what a chinrest is in German or Swedish and therefore cannot look for it online.

Replies (11)

April 22, 2019, 9:49 AM · Chinrest in German is called Kinnhalter, maybe try a local luthier/shop for one?
April 22, 2019, 10:06 AM · In Swedish it's "hakstöd"
April 22, 2019, 11:46 AM · You might look for a Wittner center mount chinrest. They are essentially flat Flesch in design, and they are made to fit small violins. I use Wittner center mounts (Augsburg model) on all of three of my violins, so I can recommend them without reservation.
Edited: April 22, 2019, 11:49 AM · Thanks :)

We have tried Wittner, but it does not work for her as she plays without a shoulder rest, The ”legs” are too large and they are painfull.

And where we live, they only offer the standard chinrest or Wittner for children.

April 22, 2019, 12:39 PM · And Ive found it in geige-cello-bass.de. The pages seem reputable but dos anyone know the webshop?
April 22, 2019, 1:05 PM · I don’t think I have a Flesch, but apart from that I have most kinds og chin rest for smaller violins. Anything else that might work? Berber? Dresden?
April 22, 2019, 1:37 PM · Maria, if you've got problems with shipping to Finland, or not getting along with German webshops, sent me a PM and I'll be looking forward to help you.
Edited: April 22, 2019, 5:24 PM · Would this one suit your needs?

https://www.m-s-v.eu/at/25683-gewa-kinnhalter-flesch-rund-ebenholz-violine-1/2-1/4.html?sPartner=google-shopping-at&gclid=CjwKCAjwzPXlBRAjEiwAj_XTEbItOkudryzQlYMFzl41pi0WUf1iokIu53TGTGYHB8mNDO9617m13hoCcWEQAvD_BwE

April 23, 2019, 12:41 AM · Nuuska, thank you so much :) but I managed to get through with my German and found the Flesch Flach (flat) :) It cost 28 euros with delivery cost, quite far from 70 euros...
April 23, 2019, 3:17 PM · That's fine.
April 23, 2019, 11:13 PM · "We have tried Wittner, but it does not work for her as she plays without a shoulder rest, The ”legs” are too large and they are painfull."

I play without a shoulder rest, and it's just the opposite for me - I find the standard mounts (when center-mounted) painful because of the metal at the bottom, but Wittners are much better - because there's a gap between the legs where the (rounded) wood contacts the body. And the leg size isn't an issue, because they're about the same size as the button.

Is it that Wittner's not scaling the legs well for fractional sizes (i.e. essentially using the full-size legs slightly shortened for fractional rests)?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra