Bridge fell

April 19, 2019, 5:28 PM · Hi,

I was changing my E string today, and as I was tuning it up, the bridge fell. Is the sound post at risk? Should I try and put it back until I get to a luthier?

Replies (4)

April 19, 2019, 5:47 PM · If you're inexperienced enough to where you let your bridge lean so much that it fell (a common beginner issue), then I would definitely recommend waiting until you get to the luthier to put it back.
April 19, 2019, 5:49 PM · With the scroll to your left, look inside the ff-hole. If you can see the soundpost standing all is OK enough. Set the bridge upright again and slowly tighten and tune your E string. If you can't see the soundpost standing, rock the violin from side to side - that sound you will hear is the soundpost rolling back and forth. De-tune your strings slightly - maybe one note. Go to your luthier.

Always be sure your bridge is upright at 90 degrees to the top of the violin. Check it at least weekly - if you don't check it every time you pick up the violin.

April 19, 2019, 6:15 PM · Lubricating the bridge grooves by writing in them with a sharp pencil (graphite) will greatly decrease the tendency of the bridge to be pulled over. (But still remember to always keep an eye on it, especially when changing string{s}).
April 19, 2019, 7:58 PM · You should be adjusting the angle of your bridge every few days or so, or certainly at least once per week.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases