Kreutzer Galamian in PDF

April 17, 2019, 11:00 AM · Hi guys, I ever played with a Ferdinand David's edition of Kreutzer. But in a talk with some friends, they said that the Galamian's edition is better to practice. I would like to see it before buying any to compare (here in Brazil is very expensive), but I can't find where to download it, anyone know?

Thank you all.
Best wishes from Brazil.

Replies (16)

April 17, 2019, 8:10 PM · You can see a sample page at Shar music or Sheet Music Plus.
April 17, 2019, 9:54 PM · I don't think you're going to find it as a pdf download; it's still under copyright.
April 18, 2019, 11:35 AM · Thank you for the answers. A friend of mine has the scanned version and sent to me. If someone wants to see it too, tell me in the instagram's direct @arthurlautonviolinista
April 18, 2019, 12:09 PM · Please be aware that sharing a complete scanned version of the Galamian edition of Kreutzer is most likely a copyright violation.
Edited: April 19, 2019, 4:40 PM · URGENT RESPONSE TO ARTHUR LAUTON & MARY ELLEN GORE ~

As a pupil of Jascha Heifetz & Nathan Milstein, plus my principle teacher, acclaimed American String Teacher/Conductor & late National President of ASTA (American String Teachers Association), Ralph Matesky, (go to BMI & ASCAP to view listings of Dad's numerous publications), I would Never
endorse any Galamian Edition of Kreutzer Etudes, whether in printed sheet music or on any online site! Ivan Galamian's lack of bowing understanding is reflected in his Unaccompanied Bach Violin Sonata & Partitas, and to the point where 2 Galamian pupils in our Original Jascha Heifetz Violin Master Classes at USC's Institute for Advanced Music Studies, could Not bow any chording combinations without ugly vile scratching of the Bow at the Frog, nor elsewhere & neither did these 2 Galamian pupils know what Musical and Spiritual messages were, nor did they play with any hints of such. Mr. 'H.' (Heifetz) wouldn't allow either to touch any Solo Bach when he told us our 'normal' JH Violin Master Classes were going to be filmed & what each of the 7 of us were to play for our own individual filmed performance/lesson with him, by famed NYC Film Producer, Nathan Kroll, Winner of Best Film Award for his documentary of Vincent Van Gogh, "Lust for Life" ~

Dear Arthur Lauton, in Rio, please avoid Galamian Editions & use, if short on funds, even a French Edition or **Schirmer's Library Vol. 230, Kreutzer Studies (edited by Singer) or Carl Fischer New York (altho' I'm unsure of the violinist who edited bowing's/fingering's, but if Galamian, run away)!

My 2 legendary mentor's, Heifetz (& later, Nathan Milstein), endorsed The Kreutzer Etudes & especially Mr. Heifetz, insisting all 7 of us play Every Kreutzer Etude + Perpetual Mobile on the highest concert level. I do know of an as yet unpublished Kreutzer Ten Etudes in a magnificent setting, but I'm not at liberty, presently, to mention these here. If you wish to know more you can go to my Violinist.com Biography here listed under performer or teacher in Illinois (Chicago) & obtain contact info to email me ~

I strongly advise avoiding Galamian edited violin works in almost every instance due to the lack of musicality & artistry/style considerations or lack thereof ~ Please avoid bad habits because they're most difficult to break even with healthy teaching of Both left hand fingering ideas & bowing's which *must be based on musical melodic lines & harmony undertows' for which many Kreutzer Etudes abundantly contain!!

I think Mary Ellen Gore's wise counsel visa vie Copyright violation is sound & offered with a complete Good Will on her part ~ (No one needs to be in a seriously compromised copyright situation at this time & especially so, if an online publishing company is offering this or that Edition of the Kreutzer Etudes (all 42 of them) or is not known to you.

I just saw mention of someone sending them (Galamian) to you & to make contact w/you via Instagram's direct @authurlautonviolinista. Not familiar w/ Instagram, I hereby ask Mary Ellen Gore to Email me NOW, Good Friday, to advise How to get to you, or show you my Reply here on Violinist.com,
Good Friday afternoon, April 19, 2019 at about 4:42 PM, Central Daylight Chicago Time ~

With musical best wishes to you Mr. Lauton & Mary Ellen Gore, I remain ~

Elisabeth Matesky in Chicago, IL, USA **

**For Reference: https://youtu.be/M54U-P-Vs9g (JH Violin Master Class -
Khachaturian, JH-7, Elisabeth Matesky) *Library of Master Performers*

Edited: April 19, 2019, 4:53 PM · I don't know if there is a conservatory or music school with a library around there, but I would find it surprising if a library at a music school didn't have the Galamian edition of Kreutzer.

It's a pretty commonly used edition that didn't raise any eyebrows with my teacher, and I found the fingerings and bowings to be pretty sensible to me. If you can find a used edition online somewhere with shipping to Brasil, I imagine it would be very cheap.

http://www.sibi.ufba.br/biblioteca-da-escola-de-musica

Hi Elizabeth down below. I don't have an instagram, so I'm not sure about how to get your message across, but I imagine the original poster will check back here eventually.

I'm not saying he should go and steal the book, but as is the purpose of a library, he can always go, see the differences in the editions on-site, and presumably borrow the edition for a period of time to see if he wants to buy.

April 19, 2019, 4:50 PM · To ~ Christian Lesniak !!!

Thank you for your helpful offerings, but the Copyright Issue is very serious and knowing those who
may have Galamian Estate Legal Control, feel our kind Brasilian violinist, might run in to trouble he
certainly doesn't need, legally nor violinistically ... Do you know How to transfer my Reply to Arthur
Lauton on what he mentions as Instagram direct @arthurlautonviolinista works or you can do?? If so, please post a short Reply Now to myself, Elisabeth Matesky, saying you can get this to him & will
simply transfer my Reply Above of Good Friday, April 19, 2018, to him. I'll keep checking this site Discussion on Galamian ~ Many Thanks, Christian!!! (Copyright online is a serious matter.)

Elisabeth Matesky (April 19, 2018, Good Friday, 4:53 PM Central Daylight Chicago Time )

April 19, 2019, 5:07 PM · Dear Ms Matesky, I unfortunately have no way to contact other posters on violinist.com other than through this forum. With utmost respect, Mary Ellen Goree
Edited: April 19, 2019, 7:00 PM · Dear Mary Ellen Gore ~

Thank you so much for your gracious response here with limited options to contact our violinist from Brazil regarding his trying to PDF the Galamian edited version of The Kreutzer Etudes ... As yourself, I don't wish Arthur Lauton to find himself in a very awkward copyright situation and was hoping to find a way to help him avoid what could be a not happy conundrum ~

I always enjoy reading your Posts here and I'm sure you are among our top drawer professional string colleagues in the United States!!! My pleasure to meet you, please accept best wishes for a lovely Easter from Chicago!!! (I look forward to a next discussion with your always well meant & expertly informed Replies! )

Elisabeth (Matesky ) *

*Thank you again for caring about a violinist in Rio . . .

April 19, 2019, 9:07 PM · The Etudes are available in several editions on the IMSLP site. Just print what you need from there.
April 19, 2019, 9:34 PM · Dear Elisabeth Matesky, very best wishes from San Antonio, Texas, to you for a wonderful Easter in Chicago!
April 20, 2019, 12:33 AM · I thought Heifetz got on fairly well with Galamian. Did he discourage his students from contact?
April 20, 2019, 2:32 AM · Comparing Galamian's edition of the Kreutzer with that of Flesch shows very interesting differences. For example, for augmented fourths Galamian likes to open out his long fingers on one sting, while Flesch prefers two close fingers across two strings. Flesch also likes to avoid lower positions on the steel E that he hated so much.
So for my stubby fingers, I may prefer Galamian for the violin and Flesch for the viola!
April 20, 2019, 7:23 AM · "I strongly advise avoiding Galamian edited violin works in almost every instance due to the lack of musicality & artistry/style considerations or lack thereof"

For sale: A barely-used mint condition copy of Kreutzer etudes. Willing to pay you to take it off my hands and deny every having it.

Edited: April 22, 2019, 10:03 AM · I don't worry about what edition I have. My teacher just writes new fingerings and bowings into everything anyway. And if I am working on something on my own, I figure whoever the editor was, they probably know (or knew) more than I about violin technique. Including Ivan Apparently the Terrible.
April 20, 2019, 10:27 AM · Respectfully, i use a Galamian edition, and i like it really a lot.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases