Perpetuals with a different E string?

April 17, 2019, 10:58 AM · I love the perpetuals but I am having the worse time with the E string whistling. I thought it was the string itself so I put a new one on with no resolution. Anyone out there using another E string with success with their Perpetuals?

Replies (9)

Edited: April 17, 2019, 12:12 PM · Jamie,

I'm using Perpetual G and D with Peter Infeld A and Goldbrokat medium E.
This combo is a pleasure to play on my violin and results in a very clear and noble tone. No whistling and the Goldbrokat E string is very economical.

I'm curious how the Perpetual A compares to the PI, I was very pleasantly surprised how good the Perpetual G and D sound right away, I had little to none new string harshness which you get usually with synthetics.

April 18, 2019, 10:00 AM · Thank you J! I have a goldbrokat E and I’ll try that!
April 18, 2019, 10:34 AM · If the Goldbrokat doesn't fix it, I guess you could try the Amber E which is a non-whistling string.
April 18, 2019, 1:43 PM · You should be able to use any similar tension E string, or even a different tension one. It won't hurt, but may slightly change the balance from G through E.
April 19, 2019, 9:52 AM · I put on a Goldbrokat E and no whistling! But I haven't tested it out enough to see if there is any difference in the other things. Thank you all!
April 19, 2019, 9:52 AM · Oops, other STRINGS :)
April 27, 2019, 12:16 AM · Jargar either Blue or Red E strings are awesome!
April 27, 2019, 2:23 PM · Try the Prim Lisa E. Very brilliant but warmer than many E strings. And it doesn't rust! It's made of stainless steel.
April 28, 2019, 10:22 AM · I never thought of trying a Prim Lisa E so will order a couple and try them out.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases