Easy Fiddle Tunes for Beginners (Suzuki Book 1 Level)

April 13, 2019, 12:59 PM · Any suggestions for simple fiddle tunes for Suzuki Book 1 students? My students love when I give them fiddle pieces to learn but I’m running out of easy options for them. I’ve done the classic Boil Them Cabbage Down (which is great for Twinkle students especially because they can practice their different rhythms), Cripple Creek, Old Joe Clark, and a couple other less known ones that I’ve revised for beginners. I’m curious what other pieces teachers use? Or perhaps most Suzuki teachers don’t throw in fiddle tunes to supplement Suzuki material?

Replies (4)

April 13, 2019, 1:52 PM · There's a nice book called Fiddle Tunes for the Violinist. Even more basic is "Easy Fiddle Tunes" by Jerry Silverman--we used that when my kids were little.
April 13, 2019, 3:18 PM · We are fortunate to live in Chicago with the Old Town School of Folk Music. They have their fiddle books online, as well as a free library of recordings of the songs. You can download the books for free at this link: https://www.oldtownschool.org/classes/kids/fiddle/welcome/ That page also has a link to the tune archive.
Edited: April 13, 2019, 9:17 PM · This is supposedly accessible to Suzuki 1 level players. Irish Tunes for Beginning Fiddler

You could also check out the OConnor Method.

And there's another two book set, American Fiddle Method, which you might have covered already: American Fiddle Method Vol. 1

April 14, 2019, 9:02 AM · Thank you all! That gives me some options! :)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases