Selling Inokuchi Violin for 10k

Edited: April 13, 2019, 10:08 PM · Hey all!

If anybody is interested, the violin here:

https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/29257/

Is still for sale. :)

Appraised at about 10,000 CAN by Inokuchi themselves, can confirm that it is a great instrument-good for that transition stage between full-fledged professional and very good student. :D

The violin is in Toronto at Jaime Weisenblum's shop
Tutti Violini-can send pictures on request within next few days or so (or just ask Jaime/Give him a call and tell him Mr. A referred you).

Thanks!

Replies (17)

April 13, 2019, 2:01 PM · I assume that's CAD. The maker appraised it at CAD 9,500 which would translate to ~ USD $7,200 (or €6,300, £5,500).

FWIW, Masa Inokuchi has a nice 'origin story' in Canada. He lived in Japan, where he found it hard to source good tone wood. Someone sent him a postcard from Canada with a picture of a maple leaf and suggested he come here, which he did.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/inokuchi/JapanSociety.htm

April 14, 2019, 2:38 AM · also, it sounds Inokuchi is basically self-taught and took a very long time to produce his first good instrument.

on his website it says he (son or dad) prefers to make cornerless instruments (a la Chanot) because the cornerblocks supposedly impact the sound in a negative way.

Too bad Stradivari was unaware of this.

April 14, 2019, 6:05 AM · Glad to hear that you are still alive and kicking A.O.!
April 14, 2019, 8:35 AM · This is in reference to cornerless and Stradivarius and has nothing to do with the instrument offered for sale (or much of anything to be honest - I just appreciate the sound and performance).

Edited: April 14, 2019, 10:15 AM · Sweet! Thanks JRay. A distant cousin of Julia Fischer?!

Back to the "discussion" ... this is possibly one of those cases when name the (local, thus obscure) maker stands between a buyer (looking for a lineage) and a potentially great instrument at relatively affordable price. I have heard that some old American makers are also undervalued.
I have known Jaime for some time now and he seems to be one of a few dealers I could possibly ever buy from. The very fact that he took the violin for consignment sale is a testament of violin's potential. So, if you are not terribly dar away from To-Ron-To looking for a violin, put your prejudices aside and give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised.

April 14, 2019, 11:22 AM · Very engaging performance by Lamsma!
April 14, 2019, 11:47 AM · Thank you Jeff Jetson!

Seems only a few people on here (who shall not be named) weren't so happy to have me around... good thing I don't care :D

Rocky, yes Jaime is truly a gentleman... rare breed nowadays! :(

Have tried the fiddle-is on the slightly bright and somewhat warm side, good for jazz. :)

April 14, 2019, 12:34 PM · Simone Lamsma, who has a hefty international tour schedule, has changed the cornerless Strad for another one, with regular corners, as everybody has done who has played on the cornerless one. Even Joshua Bell has briefly played on the cornerless Strad.
April 14, 2019, 1:34 PM · If I had a 'Strad', I'd sell it - it'd probably be too loud and unsuitable for my tastes, and besides I need the eggs. I'm not sure I'd say the same about the instrument on sale here.

FWIW, while I'm here, two things I like about buying an instrument made by a living maker: (1) You know who actually made it. Getting a historical instrument is a pleasure when you think back to how it was made long ago by someone, etc., but often, at least for instruments which are likely to be this 'affordable', it's hard to be sure who made it and when. (2) It directly or indirectly supports the livelihood of a living maker.

Whether one instrument suits you better than another is mostly up to you.

Edited: April 15, 2019, 10:09 AM · Just to note, if anyone in Toronto is interested I can always introduce in person to Jaimr and you can try out the fiddle. :)

Speaking of Strads, Jaime has kne made by son (Omobono) Strad if you woukd want to give it a try...

Most gorgeous D string ever, reminds of Joshua Bell's Gibson (but only on that string :D)

April 15, 2019, 3:58 AM · "Most gorgeous D string ever, reminds of Joshua Bell's fiddle (but only on that string)"

Bell has a new, or other, Strad every year.

April 15, 2019, 10:10 AM · @Herman West: Fixed to specify Gibson Strad. :D
April 16, 2019, 9:29 PM · "if you are not terribly dar away from To-Ron-To looking for a violin, put your prejudices aside and give it a try. "

Rocky, did you mean T-Ron-Ta? If I lived near by and looking in that price range, I'd definitely would give it a try. I have been wondering about this japanese-canadian maker.

April 22, 2019, 4:28 PM · Just a small bump. :)
April 22, 2019, 7:26 PM · You have to make your mind up: either Joshua Bell played a Gibson or he played a Stradocaster - the latter is made by Fender...

Either way, even though I'm not a JB fan I would kill to see that...

April 23, 2019, 3:14 AM · Nothing will sell a violin faster than a video of someone playing it and making a great sound on it.

Just FYI.

April 23, 2019, 4:24 AM · Tough audience...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases