Need a piece to suggest to teacher

April 11, 2019, 5:25 PM · My current lessons teacher would like me to suggest a piece id like to work on. We decided on Symphonie Espangole, but I decided that was just a little bit too much for me right now. I’m trying to find pieces, doesn’t have to be a concerto, to listen to and look at that I can suggest during my next lesson. The only concertos I can think of are Bruch and Mendelssohn, which I’d rather not work on until I’m back in school in August with my professor.

I’m mostly just looking for pieces within the Bruch-Lalo difficulty range. I’d like a multi movement piece, but I’m also looking into show/salon pieces, as well as solo Bach.

Replies (11)

Edited: April 11, 2019, 5:29 PM · An off the wall idea - how about the Brahms G Major Sonata (Op. 78) - it's very beautiful?
April 11, 2019, 5:35 PM · I’m not sure a sonata is the best idea, since I won’t have a pianist to work with.
April 11, 2019, 7:23 PM · Have you done any of the Sarasate showpieces?
April 11, 2019, 7:38 PM · I have not.
April 11, 2019, 8:33 PM · You could try the Zapateado. It's fun, and a nice piece to have in your repertoire.
Edited: April 11, 2019, 8:53 PM · I would like to preface with I am not a violinist so have not played the pieces but am educated on the general level and can tell based on seeing the score typically.
Have you done your mozarts? 4/5 these are a good starting point.

I second the Sarasate showpieces they give great prep for the virtuoso repotoire of romantic concertos. I would say introduction and tarantella is probably a good starting point. Zapetado seems a bit extreme if Lalo is a bit much.

Things like the Kreisler showpieces ( introduction and allegro, Schön Rosmarin, libersfreud)

If I was in your shoes a sonata may not be the worst thing even without a good pianist.
Because there is so much good repotoire at this general level from grieg to Faure to frank or Ives or Prokofiev.
So many composers wrote for the pair that there is a lot to find and love.

I would recommend you look at the Stravinsky suite italiane as it’s not insanely difficult but very bueatiful and romantic

And about doing solo Bach I think that is a fantastic choice as long as you have a teacher who can really break things down as this will give you bow control and give you a mental and musical workout.

Again take what I say as a violist with a grain of salt.

April 11, 2019, 9:00 PM · Most multi-movement pieces are concertos or sonatas. In addition to Bach there is also Ysaye, however I'm thinking those might be even harder than Lalo?

There is also the Conus concerto -- I believe the Heifetz recording is considered rather definitive.

April 11, 2019, 9:15 PM · I would like to learn Mozart 4 or 5 at some point, I've only done 3 and I really enjoyed learning it.
April 11, 2019, 10:19 PM · Romanza Andaluza by Sarasate is a lot of fun to play and very learnable; easier than Zapateado, and easier than Bruch.
April 11, 2019, 11:15 PM · If Bruch and Mendelssohn are doable, Zapateado should be, too. Although I agree that the Introduction & Tarantella is less difficult. (Romanza Andaluza is, as Mary Ellen noted, also easier.)

Paul, there are quite a few Ysaye works but all are hard (to varying degrees), and I think that broadly his solo sonatas are much harder than the Bach ones.

The Stravinsky Suite Italienne (in its Dushkin incarnation) is fun, easier than the named concertos, and arguably easier than the Sarasate showpieces.

On the Mozart front, though, do you know the Mozart/Kreisler Rondo, or the Mozart Rondo in C major? Short, very achievable, easier than the 4th and 5th concertos.

April 12, 2019, 12:44 AM · Ill take a look at these suggestions.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases