Thoughts on Coruss

Edited: April 16, 2019, 3:54 PM · I installed my hank of Coruss today.
I used about 2 thirds of what I was sent—I got almost enough for two bows! My bow has a fairly soft stick, though. So, two soft bows.

I received a white hank, which irks me because I asked for black. The white hair is almost pefectly transparent, and it's a bit freaky.
Better with rosin on it, however.

It was a lot of fun to work with. The ends burn so clean it almost looks like a factory job. I don't even think it's necessary to use rosin powder on the ends, but I still did for tradition's sake.
The hair is also really easy to untangle in case you have a mishap (which I did, trying to remove the excess...).
Sadly, you can't soak the hair (hydrophobic), so that makes it a bit tricky to get an even band. No matter what I do, I have a couple of hairs that hang loose on the outward side, despite that side getting pulled back when you wedge the hair in the frog. But that's probably just down to my skill as a rehairer. Oh well.

The hair felt a bit slippery with just my usual pops rosin, but after adding a thick layer of some other light rosin I had, it really started to shine. The reviews were right—it is a very articulate sound. Sharp and even and defined, with a lot of grip.

Some other stuff:
The hair is really strong. I can't imagine breaking even a single one through normal use, because it's tough to break with my hands!

It's obviously not horsehair. It's bright and shiny. But that's not necessarily bad. It looks nice in its own way.

It's perfectly even along its length, so you can string up your bow however and it sounds the same (unlike horsehair, which has a strong end and a weak end). I find this makes it a bit easier to play with, too.

Since it's basically completely smooth, I think a Coruss rehair might be one-and-done job. You can probably just clean it with spirits every so often and leave it on your bow forever.

Overall, I like it. I think I'll consider string all my bows with Coruss from now on.

Replies (16)

April 11, 2019, 3:33 AM · Thanks for the review.

You could keep track, now, if it's true or not that artificial hair need to be re-rosined with more frequence.

April 11, 2019, 4:14 AM · I was interested in reading about this hair as I know of nobody that has used it. Thanks.
Edited: April 11, 2019, 5:36 PM · Indeed, it does lose rosin a bit faster.
Be careful of putting too much rosin on—I got a mouthful, and now it feels like I've been eating chalk for an hour.
But the sound! I've never had a bow play so cleanly. Doubles stops way up on the A and E that used to be a bit of a struggle now just work with no extra effort needed. I was surprised by the difference.

The tone is a bit "colder", but in a hall that's what you'd want anyways. Plus, it's not like I have a deficit of warmth, playing on gut strings.

I did have to take my bow apart and redo my rehairing job. I left a bit of extra lengh for this, because I figured my first attempt would have some issues.
There's a trick to it. It takes some getting used to before you can make an even ribbon out of it.

April 11, 2019, 9:02 PM · I have two identical CF bows. Maybe I will try this with one of them.
April 11, 2019, 9:02 PM · Very interesting. From where did you buy the Coruss hair?
April 11, 2019, 11:21 PM · I'll have to give the stuff a try!

Now I just need to find a luthier that is willing to put it on a bow...

April 12, 2019, 6:00 AM · They have the ordering instructions on their website.

https://www.cardiffviolins.co.uk/coruss-bow-hair/

Afaik this is the only way to buy it.

April 12, 2019, 10:58 AM · There are plenty of other places to get it. Connolly sells it in the US.

ALso, it is helpful to wet the substance when combing it out. It doesn't absorb water, but it does help in getting an even ribbon of hair.

April 16, 2019, 3:22 PM · Cotton, since it's not been a little longer, have you noticed anything additional about the Coruss hair? Are you still preferring it?
April 16, 2019, 3:58 PM · I was impressed initially, but this past weekend I found that playing in a big, open church (as opposed to the office in my basement) it feels like playing on very worn-out hair. When you have to project over other instruments, it takes much more effort.
That's kind of annoying to me. In a small room, it really did feel a million times better than horse hair. Now I'm thinking I'll put Coruss on my spare and the natural stuff on my good stick.
April 16, 2019, 11:04 PM · Ah, yes, "projection".
April 17, 2019, 2:50 AM · Dissapointing to hear!
April 17, 2019, 10:31 AM · "Paul Deck
April 16, 2019, 11:04 PM · Ah, yes, "projection"."

Why is it that great players can make nearly anything project and the rest of us blame our tools?

Edited: April 17, 2019, 3:33 PM · Evidently its not so easy to reinvent the wheel!!
April 17, 2019, 12:14 PM · Holy craploa Lyndon, nothing worth doing is easy. I'll take radials over wagon spokes any day:)
April 17, 2019, 1:06 PM · Duane Lasley

I didn't say the audience couldn't hear me. I just said it was more work on my part ;)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases