Anyone else having trouble with the Play with Ray site?

April 7, 2019, 11:01 AM · Want to submit my application, but their website's total whack. The submit button gets hidden underneath their social media banner, first of all, so I had use a different browser in order to be able to click it...
Anyways. That's not the point. I can't seem to submit my application regardless. It's been loading for a good 20 minutes. My video is only 181 megabytes---not at all huge.

Replies (10)

Edited: April 7, 2019, 11:18 AM · I wonder if Ray Chen will actually watch all of the videos himself or if he will have others pick the best ones for him. Because that would be reason enough to apply, for me at least -- then I could say Ray Chen heard me play.

Can't wait to see what happens to their server closer to the deadline.

April 7, 2019, 11:24 AM · If it's this bad now, I'm lucky I'm entering early...

I imagine some poor schmuck will get paid minimum wage to sort the cream from the crop, and Ray Chen (or maybe some first chair violinist from the LA Phil) will decide which out of the best entrants will win.

I'll email them to see if it's something on their end. It's been 40 minutes...

April 7, 2019, 11:32 AM · You could test the site with a 5-second video file.
April 7, 2019, 11:45 AM · Repeat entries result in disqualification, so I'd rather not test it in case they collect your IP address.
April 7, 2019, 1:37 PM · Hey, it worked! I left it on while I went to church, and when I came back, it had finished. It must have sent before my computer went to sleep, so it would have taken about 70 minutes total. Speedy service.

Get your submissions in before rush week if you don't want to wait 2 days to upload your video.

April 7, 2019, 1:50 PM · Be careful what you pray for! LOL
April 7, 2019, 2:32 PM · Good luck to Cotton and to all others here who are submitting!
April 8, 2019, 2:40 AM · Cotton, you should also post your submission here.
Edited: April 8, 2019, 11:56 PM · Congrats on your submission, Cotton! I had submitted my application on the first day, and the upload probably took about 10 minutes. I got a response page saying the submission was successful, but I was expecting to also get an email or some other confirmation (which I did not)...
April 9, 2019, 11:34 AM · I have an idea: Let's take side-bets on who plays with Ray.

(1) Male or female?
(2) Under age 16 or over?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Warchal Metronome

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop