Why do they do that?

April 5, 2019, 12:32 PM · Earlier this morning there was a post from someone who said he felt like he was going through life as an imposter. I made a lengthy response to him that I genuinely hoped would be helpful. An hour later the thread was gone, evidently deleted by the OP. Why do people do this? And if you happened to see my answer, was it so offensive? (I hoped it wouldn't be offensive at all!)

Replies (7)

April 5, 2019, 12:37 PM · Paul, I can't answer for this guy in particular, but it's possible that there was too much identifiable information in his post and he didn't want someone from his local community to see it for whatever personal reason.
April 5, 2019, 1:15 PM · Don't feel bad Paul. Seems to happen quite often. I started a post to him and erased it. I had too much to say about it. My posts tend to get long sometimes.

I have had similar happen on recording forums where someone asks a question and I spend time replying to them. They never come back to comment. I seen you invested some time and thought into the comments. Maybe someone else read it and it helped them.

April 5, 2019, 3:51 PM · I saw your response Paul and thought it was spot on. It was not offensive, and I think that James has the right idea. (This is when allowing postings without the persons identifying information like names would be very beneficial, or having a private vs fully public forum.)
April 5, 2019, 4:04 PM · Not unusual. I've regretted pretty much everything I've ever said or written. Just too lazy to undo them, I guess.
April 5, 2019, 4:43 PM · That guy seemed like he was dealing with a lot of stuff, and I think that when some people vent a lot of stuff they have guilt or shame about, they may regret putting that stuff out there. I hope he finds what he is looking for.

I write a lot of dumb stuff on here, and I just figure it's all part of being alive or something. I always get a laugh when I am searching for something to fix some problem I am having with my playing, and then find a post of mine from years ago advising on that very topic - I usually even look at the advice, and go, huh, I guess I should do that, but the hubris is still funny.

What I'm curious about is how threads get archived here. Is there some algorithm that selects threads for archiving, or does Laurie do it, or do the posters of the topic do it? Sometimes I'm looking for a thread to keep posting in, and for a reason beyond me, it got archived.

April 5, 2019, 5:26 PM · Some people stick by the decisions their past selves have made. Others go back on their word and hide their mistakes. It's all up to what kind of person you are.

April 5, 2019, 5:48 PM · I constantly think of asking MySpace to take down my old account from yearrrss back because it has some hilariously embarrassing stuff, but every time I almost do it, I feel like I'm denying who I really am. Was that shallow, stupid-humored child really any different from who I am now? Or was he simply a version of me that was willing to put himself out there, despite how ludicrous his behavior was?

Besides, who is really going to look me up and find all of my embarrassing old internet stuff, except for stalkers? And stalkers don't seem to care what I've done in my past. They like me regardless.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases