Rondo versus Obligato strings

Edited: April 2, 2019, 9:11 PM · I’m considering switching from Pirastro Rondo to Oblligato strings and was wondering if anyone had made this change. Will I get more warmth from the Obligatos? Or does it really depend on the instrument?

Replies (6)

April 2, 2019, 10:49 PM · I personally did not like obligatos at all. I’ve never tried Rondo strings, though.
April 3, 2019, 9:32 AM · I use obligatos on my viola where I want more chocolatey warmth. I can't imagine wanting them on my violin. Much of learning how to generate tone on the violin, I believe, is "taming of the shrew." So if you are artificially removing high overtones by using mellow-ish strings then you're losing out on the opportunity to learn how to create the kind of sound on your violin that is normally associated with modern solo playing.
Edited: April 3, 2019, 10:00 AM · It all depends on the frequency response curve of your instrument. I used Obligatos on one violin for a number of "cycles" until I switched to the Thomastik family of strings (at least 6 brands of those over the intervening years then EP gold with a PI-Pt E string - and now it is strung with Warchal Timbres). It is a bright instrument with a lot of overtone strength - and I guess my ears were a lot younger and more perceptive then - now my ears are old and dull and it's possible I need something different for my own pleasure.

I think it is a good idea to have another set of ears that you trust to help make a "sound judgement" when selecting an instrument or judging strings. It also depends on how you use your instrument - if it is only for your own enjoyment that's one thing, but if you are playing solos "against" a large piano or orchestra that's another. Playing in an orchestra or chamber ensemble can be accommodated with a "solo instrument" properly played.

Edited: April 3, 2019, 10:14 AM · Obligatos are great for adding character to otherwise plain violins, unfortunately they don't last very long much as with Evah Pirrazi.
April 3, 2019, 11:50 AM · My violin sounds great with Obligatos. Not a "plain violin," either. A set lasts me 4-5 months of constant playing, no problems. They don't scream, so I guess if you want that you might go elsewhere, but they sound great in the room and especially in the recording studio. I don't use their e, though--I prefer the Warchal Amber e. Weirdly the Kaplan no-whistle e sounds good for me, too. I play open e more than most of you, though...
April 3, 2019, 12:25 PM · Rondo - focused, rich, energetic

Obligato - fuzzy, warm, broad

If I wanted Rondo with more warmth, I'd probably try something like Vision Solo or Peter Infeld. Going to Obligato seems extreme. As Lyndon mentioned, the optimum sound lifespan of Evah and Obligato seems rather short.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra