17 Best Violin Pieces?

Edited: March 31, 2019, 12:48 PM · in 2016 Classic FM posted an article with the title:
"These are factually the 17 best violin pieces in existence" and they just (re)shared the link on Facebook today.

I'm curious to hear opinions on this list, I apologize for the long link but can't find another way to provide the link in this post. Would you add to the list? Replace part, or all of the list?

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/instruments/violin/features/best-violin-pieces/?fbclid=IwAR1Ohll5rRxVz_fLr9mlmRCTazNVF5dqqNjN1le2BbWUyg91U-1k9srEmpA

Replies (13)

Edited: March 31, 2019, 2:41 PM · "Factually"?! That's ridiculous. In fact, the fundamental flaw in this list is that they only chose ONE piece from each composer, probably so that a third of the list wasn't Bach. And, uh, John Williams' music for Schindler's List is nice and all, but... on the same list with the Chaconne, with Paganini's 24th Caprice?! Nothing from Mozart?!! But we've got Philip Glass, Amy Beach, and Clara Schumann?! Pfft, sorry, I would throw this list out and start over; this looks to me like a click-bait joke.
March 31, 2019, 3:23 PM · @ Paul. My thoughts exactly. FACEBOOK !!! Isn't there enough sponsored fake news these days on Social Media, Russian Bots and all?
March 31, 2019, 3:36 PM · Best for WHAT?
March 31, 2019, 4:09 PM · Just a badly worded article, made to sell ClassicFM. Such a title should have been properly edited, but in our current age of so called "truthful hyperbole" being constantly used to sell the most absurd snake oil to the unwary, I guess it was given the OK to move forward.

So the answer is: it's obviously marketing, so feel free to disagree and not make too much of it. Nothing against any of the cited composers, but I have the distinct feeling many of them would also disagree with that "factually the best violin pieces" statement-an oxymoron if there's one (facts are in clear contradiction of subjective "best"-opinion-lists.)

Only you can decide which are the 17 to 9,432 violin pieces that are the "best".

March 31, 2019, 5:10 PM · Thanks for posting this article Mrs. Kostyn, thought it was kind of fun and interesting to read about and listen to some of the linked videos although I most certainly found it an odd amalgam.
March 31, 2019, 5:14 PM · I found the wording interesting as well "factually"? Really? However I thought it might be a nice way to discuss favorite composers and pieces. I think that the "17 best" is going to have to differ from person to person. I could have found a better way to start this thread.

So how is this - what is your top favorite pieces at this point in time? I don't have the depth of experience of almost everyone in this forum but I do have favorites from over the years that has yet to be supplanted. I thought this might be a nice way to find composers I've not yet heard.

Edited: March 31, 2019, 5:49 PM · Let's not forget a few classics:

"Variations on Al Capone in Love," by J. S. Bach.
Trio for Violin, Tuba, and Cellphone, by Brahms.
Caprice #25 (with chord progressions on one string) by Paganini.
"Melody Sans Rosin," by Henry Ford.
"Wherever Ego I Go," by Sigmund Freud.

March 31, 2019, 5:52 PM · My top four are all Brahms. Violin concerto, violin sonatas 1 and 3, and the F-A-E scherzo, in no particular order.

My favorite violin piece that isn't by Brahms is by a much more obscure composer: it's the violin sonata by Amanda Maier, who (maybe not surprisingly) was part of the Brahms/Joachim/Schumann circle.

Other than those, Sibelius concerto, Bruch Scottish Fantasy, and another obscure piece, Alexander Campbell Mackenzie's Pibroch Suite.

March 31, 2019, 5:55 PM · Sander: reminds me of one of my favorite pieces I've ever heard (perhaps off topic because it has no string parts), one composed by a local composer a few years ago that's rather notorious in my area's music community. It's titled "Did You Get My Text?" and it's for piccolo, bass clarinet, baritone voice, and cellphone.
April 1, 2019, 9:05 AM · Main question: Why on earth 17 pieces? Have you ever seen a 17 best list of anything?
April 1, 2019, 12:05 PM · Truly lazy writing by some marketing intern at Classical FM, though I think maybe as an April Fool's Joke it has some utility. How does the phrasing go? Something like 'Rankings are for horses, not violins'.

That being said, I think if you asked most classical violinists, the Chaconne and Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata would probably rank high on everyone's list.

April 1, 2019, 2:40 PM · Made you click.
April 5, 2019, 7:30 PM · "Factually" reeks. It's like the Soviet "objectively". It means whatever the writer intends, and basically tells anybody objecting to shut up.
Anybody know of a synonym for "bully" using A-H which can be serve as the theme for a fugue ... to be inverted and counterpointed?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases