Rather impressive fiddling

Edited: March 27, 2019, 1:05 AM · Lana Trotovsek

When she's playing some of the double stops, it almost sounds like other instruments are accompanying her. Possibly the natural reverb helped with that illusion. And at times she gets an almost pipe organ sound.

Replies (28)

March 27, 2019, 5:10 AM · She is amazing!
March 27, 2019, 5:21 AM · Thanks for sharing.
March 27, 2019, 6:05 AM · If you play your electrified violin through an Electro-Harmonix B9 stomp box, you'll sound like an organ.
March 27, 2019, 6:46 AM · Yes, but a badly played organ in need of tuning, in my case.
March 27, 2019, 6:49 AM · Not to discount her playing, but I think the reverb of that room is really enhancing the sound. I wonder if they picked pieces with a certain tempo to take advantage of the reverb return timing?
March 27, 2019, 9:08 AM · Nice to hear somebody playing without the generic vibrato.
March 27, 2019, 9:14 AM · Her performance of the Prelude to Bach Partita #3 is just as impressive and resonant: https://youtu.be/pzdcsJocD3Y
March 27, 2019, 9:25 AM · Bach is my reason of violin! she’s impressive!
March 27, 2019, 12:39 PM · Yes she is amazing! The reverb from either the venue, or added during sound post-processing, works very well.
March 27, 2019, 2:57 PM · It gives it a fair amount of power lacking from many soloists I hear.
March 27, 2019, 4:03 PM · I like that she doesn't play it super fast. It really sings at this tempo.
March 27, 2019, 4:20 PM · I love her playing!
March 27, 2019, 8:19 PM · I'm thinking if she played anything too fast, with the echo, it would end up sounding like mud.
March 27, 2019, 9:30 PM · I like this performance very much. The reverb is what sticks out, but what I love the most is the emotion and feeling she is able to transmit. Bach is often played too mathematically, but she is giving the feeling without the vibrato. Many thumbs up.
March 27, 2019, 10:10 PM · @Carlos, I agree. Was an organic performance.
March 27, 2019, 10:29 PM · Another by her, again using "environmental space". Not as powerful as the first, but still good.

Bach Partita no 3 Prelude

March 27, 2019, 10:39 PM · It's not really fiddling though. It's more like violin-playing.
March 28, 2019, 2:11 AM · It's not really reverb. It's more like echo (echo, echo, echo, echo).
March 28, 2019, 1:30 PM · The Fugue was excellent. What strings is she using, Warchal Amber?
March 28, 2019, 5:59 PM · Amber E I think. The other strings look like Evah Pirazzi.
March 29, 2019, 11:42 AM · Very nice playing indeed. The sound effect seems to me like an obvious post processing digital effect. Nicely done though.
March 29, 2019, 12:00 PM · Well, she is alone in a church, not up at the pulpit, so perhaps choosing a specific place in the hall.

It could be post processing, but it feels too real.

I could be wrong, but the setup seems to coincide with the sound.

Not that it matters either way. Her other videos that were not done in this space do not share that reverb sound.

March 31, 2019, 10:16 AM · The sound might have been edited slightly, but it's hard to tell. The playing is very nice though.

J, it's hard to see, but I think the lower two strings are Evah Pirazzi, the A is blue so it could be Dominant, and the E is kind of orange, so it could be Gold Label. I think Mariam Fried used a similar setup to this before.

Edited: April 3, 2019, 8:04 AM · I have a general question or two regarding the technicalities of audio recording (with no reference to specific recordings, I must add).

Are there forensic ways to detect post processing of echo and/or reverb from examination of the wave form? I guess echo would be relatively easy to detect, but reverb?

Can echo/reverb be taken out of a recording, or reduced?

I haven't anything against post processing in its right place and used for a good reason, such as giving the needed reverb of a large hall to a recording made of necessity in a smaller space.

April 3, 2019, 9:30 AM · In some ways post-processing is preferable since you're in control of how it sounds in the end. Like salt in a recipe, you can always add reverb -- but you can't take it out later. People who do recordings in places like St. Mark's Cathedral are tinkering endlessly with the placement of instrument and microphones before recording.
Edited: April 3, 2019, 11:31 AM · Some more impressive "fiddling" from Augusta McKay Lodge on her Naxos album for solo Baroque violin, "Beyond Bach and Vivaldi".

YouTube has the first track on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pR_kbXiThI

On this you can hear arpeggio playing par excellence of "Alia fantasia" by Nicola Matteis Jr.

April 4, 2019, 12:02 AM · Reverb as a postprocessing step is mathematically a convolution with an impulse response function (IRF). If it is applied on the final mix and you know the IRF (because you know the software that was used), you can detect it and to a large extent undo it. If you don't know the IRF, you can probably detect it from notches and peaks in the power spectrum that don't move during the recording.

Natural reverb has a different signature because small movements of a hand-held instrument will change the path-length differences between direct paths to the microphone and indirect paths (via reflections). Even if the instrument doesn't move, like a piano, different notes/sounds are emitted from different parts of the instrument and will reverb slightly differently.

April 4, 2019, 4:10 AM · Han, thank you for that explanation. It has helped my understanding.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra