1946 wooden violin

March 23, 2019, 4:07 PM · I have a wooden 1946 violin bow which I bought in Kitchener Ontario. It is in very good condition. I use it occasionally. I also have an Eastman Cadenza bow. I like them both but the wooden one seems to be better balanced. There is no name on it but my teacher said it was a great bow. He told me to buy that one and that is all I remember. He had an Amati violin which he could really play. Was in the Toronto symphony at one time and the best teacher in Sault Ste Marie Ontario in those days.
My question is: Is it possible that it was pernambuco. That’s all I remember. I should have kept notes. Terry

Replies (11)

Edited: March 23, 2019, 4:29 PM · Probably pernambuco. There are various grades of the wood. Really good bow makers can distinguish the quality of pernambuco wood "blanks" but even then the results in the final creation are not always great.
Edited: March 23, 2019, 4:37 PM · Terry, I have a blue car. It drives really nice, and has four wheels. Can you tell me who was it made by, and what is it worth? ;-)
March 23, 2019, 6:19 PM · David
What I was really asking if it is likely that at that is it possible that it is pernambuco. I suppose that anything is possible.
Thanks for your comments Andrew
Edited: March 23, 2019, 8:59 PM · Most wood bows are pernambuco. Occasionally you’ll find a nice bow by a top French maker such as Francois Peccatte or Nicolas Maire made out of Amourette, or Ironwood.
March 23, 2019, 9:14 PM · I’m sorry, I meant to say it cost $12.50 so I was wondering if that would buy pernambuco in those years. In other words in terms of price today what would it cost? Or would that be a half decent bow in those days? Another big mistake I made was the heading. Obviously it should be a wood bow! Who’s on first?!
March 23, 2019, 9:19 PM · If its a cheaper bow its probably brazilwood.
Edited: March 25, 2019, 9:09 AM · I really don't know how much bow $12.50 would buy in 1946, but that is what I expected to pay for a leather covered shaped case that I ordered in 1947 because that's what my father had paid for his a year or two earlier. When my case arrived so did a bill for $35; my case was covered in alligator-looking leather and was much nicer looking than my father's.

I've played with some OK bows that were probably made of "brazilwood" priced in today's market at $140. If the metal on the bow is real silver it was likely a bow the maker thought enough of to use an upgrade from "German silver," a nickel alloy usually reserved for lesser bows - but there were some French bow makers (like some of the Bazin makers) who used nickel alloy for their metal parts on some pernambuco bows of decent quality.

The balance of a bow is not a good indicator of much, in my opinion and experience, one gram+ added to the tip or the frog - or removed from the winding can make a significant difference in the balance and playability of a bow. Also - in my experience - it has not made a difference in the tone produced by the bow other than loudness from the difference in bow weight on the strings, which is easily adjusted by the player.

March 25, 2019, 6:31 AM · Did you buy it at Reidstras Terry?
March 29, 2019, 10:35 PM · Andrew
Thanks for the information and opinion. I cannot tell what the metal is but it is very shiny if that means anything. I wonder if a real pernambuco bow at the same time may be twice the price. Certainly looks as shiny as my other bows
Terry
Edited: March 29, 2019, 11:49 PM · Very shiny is usually nickle alloy, silver is more of a satin finish.
March 29, 2019, 11:13 PM · Thanks Lyndon. Good info

Peter
All I know is that it was bought in Kitchener Ontario
Terry

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra