Can a violist help me out really quick?

March 22, 2019, 4:56 PM · Which Barbera Barber solo viola book is about Suzuki vol 4 level?

Which one of those volumes do you consider the best?

Thanks in advance. I have very limited knowledge of those books.

Replies (4)

Edited: March 22, 2019, 5:19 PM · The inside cover of the Barber series matches all of the pieces with the appropriate Suzuki book level. Based on that table, you want volume 1 and 2. PM me and I can send you a picture of the inside cover so you can see the table.

Edit: I should state that I have the violin books but my understanding is that the viola books progress in mostly the same manner.

March 22, 2019, 9:16 PM · Book 1 is roughly Suzuki books 2-4 level, Book 2 is Suzuki 4-5 level. There are a couple of book 1 pieces I sometimes teach between Suzuki 3 and 4. Around the end of book 4 (about the level of the Telemann) I like to teach the Mozart Divertimento and the Londonderry Air from book 4. So, I would say that book 1 for early book 4, and book 2 for later book 4. They are both good books. I would say that I use book 2 slightly more often than book 1, mostly because I love teaching (and playing) the Londonderry Air arrangement.
March 22, 2019, 10:07 PM · If you are solidly in Suzuki Book 4, I would go with Book 2. The rep is much more interesting. In general, the pieces get harder as you advance by book, but there is always a range in each book. The table of contents are here: http://www.barbarabarber.com/solos-for-young-violists.html
March 23, 2019, 10:03 AM · Thanks for the replies.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra