Does a simple bridge placement adjustment help with intonation

March 21, 2019, 7:58 PM · I never was aware of whether my Mensur was correct or not until recently. My teacher took my violin to demonstrate something and commented on how something was wrong, implying my violin has a warped neck or something like that. Her fingers , she claimed didn’t produce the correct pitch for the placement of the finger. With a little sliding around she found it. Alarmed, I took it to a violin shop and asked the luthier about it. I have always thought the bridge aligns with the f hole notch farthest back. We discovered that the measurement for mensur required my bridge to be moved beyond that position. Amazing ! after a slight adjustment, sound post as well, I am not hunting for the correct pitch anymore either.....Is this common? Luthiers? Professionals? Thank you ahaead of time for your indulgence.

Replies (4)

March 21, 2019, 11:24 PM · When you find the correct spot for the bridge, the overtones of the instrument will help each other out much more. The effect can be that playing in tune is much easier.
March 22, 2019, 8:05 AM · Matthew, we generally position a bridge by measurements, not by the ff hole notches. Often, the notches will correspond with the measurement, but sometimes they won't.
March 22, 2019, 8:22 AM · David -- curious why bridge positioning is not done by the sound of the instrument, the way sound-post placement is optimized.
March 22, 2019, 10:19 AM · Paul, it's to keep the scale similar from instrument to instrument. As Matthew mentioned in the first post, if the dimensions are off, the notes won't be in the right or usual place.

There can be a little wiggle room. Some players are more sensitive to this than others.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases