Concerto Ideas

March 21, 2019, 1:38 AM · Hello,

I just finished playing the Barber violin concerto and was wondering what piece would be good for me to play next. I am around the Bruch/Barber level.

Thanks

Replies (10)

Edited: March 21, 2019, 7:29 AM · How about the Bruch then. If you've already done that, then if you've done only one Mozart, do another one. And if you've done Bruch, Barber, and two Mozarts then maybe Vieuxtemps No. 4 or Conus or Saint-Saens No. 3.
March 21, 2019, 7:56 AM · People usually do Mendelssohn, Saint-Saens 3, Wieniawski 2, Khachaturian, or Lalo Symphonie Espagnol, post-Bruch.

March 21, 2019, 8:08 AM · Vieuxtemps 5 is good too
March 21, 2019, 8:08 AM · Or you can always start on sonatas :)
March 21, 2019, 9:43 AM · Saint-Saens 3 would be my recommendation if you've already done Bruch. Wieniawski 2 would be my second choice. I don't usually go straight from Bruch to Mendelssohn.
March 21, 2019, 10:00 AM · Isn't Saint Saens 3 more difficult than Wieniawski 2 though?
March 21, 2019, 5:12 PM · Personally, I learned Wieniawski 2 before Saint-Saens 3. I think Wieniawski is probably a more technically demanding piece, but it requires less musical maturity than the Saint-Saens. Still, concertos like the Wieniawski and Vieuxtemps (for later) are excellent for developing facility around the instrument that is necessary if you ever hope to tackle pieces like Tchaikovsky, Brahms, or Sibelius. Since both Bruch and Barber are somewhat musically focused (not loads of technically difficult passages, besides Barber mvmt 3), I think I would recommend Wieniawski 2. The left-hand work required of you to execute that piece well will take you to the next level as a violinist. Just my two cents :)
March 21, 2019, 10:34 PM · The question of Saint-Saens 3 vs Wieniawski 2 depends on what you find difficult. I never developed a reliably successful up-bow staccato so for me, SS 3 was easier. Certainly the 2nd movement of the Wieniawski is much easier than the 2nd movement of SS 3 though.
Edited: March 22, 2019, 11:29 AM · I agree completely. Unfortunately, up-bow staccato is one of the few superpowers some people seem to have and others do not. It can be taught to a degree, but I have never seen a player who at first struggled with the stroke attain a level of fluency equal to that of someone who found it came naturally to them. I am in the same category as Mary in that I can produce an up-bow staccato if I had to, but it is not terribly reliable. If the OP decides to do Saint-Saens first and come back to Wieniawski later, I doubt this situation would change. Either way, it's important that the OP not view a difficulty with up-bow staccato as a weakness in one's playing abilities - many professionals struggle with it and actively avoid the 0.1% of rep that requires it. You're not alone :)
March 23, 2019, 10:07 AM · I always recommend students at that level check out the nearly forgotten Conus.

It's fun (IMO) and you can really sink your teeth into it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Warchal Metronome

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop