Tullio Rovescalli Violin?

March 19, 2019, 1:32 AM · Does anyone here own a Tullio Rovescalli violin? I have a viola by him from 1931 but have always wanted to try a violin of his, since I'm much more of a violinist than a violist these days. I'm so curious what the sound would be like. I somehow feel connected to this maker so I would love the opportunity to try one of his violins.

Replies (6)

March 19, 2019, 10:21 AM · One of the biggest regrets of my violin-searching life was not buying a Rovascelli that I tried at Francais in NY in about 1991. It could have been the jaw-dropping price at the time of $18,000. Could also have been their refusal to let me take the violin out for trial and ship it back.

At first I thought Francais himself was suggesting we have a drink together: "Ees two whiskey--two whiskey!" Then my 4 years of high school French kicked in and I realized he was saying it was "too risky!"

March 19, 2019, 10:44 AM · Scott - your story brought me some peasant memories. For over 20 years my work brought me into a lot of contact with the French. One of the nice people was a French engineering executive who had a sight speech irregularity so he used a "w" sound instead of rolling "r." It was quite charming. I even recalled his name because of the memory - something I had not been able to do when last I thought of him and his family.

So - thanks for the memories!

March 19, 2019, 11:28 AM · More French people speak with the guttural r in the back of the throat than the rolled r. The rolled r is a very old-fashioned sound.
It's not a speech impediment...
March 19, 2019, 1:45 PM · Scott, I'm all the more intrigued now! Was it azzo, manlio, or tullio Rovescalli? I can't imagine that any but azzo would sell for 18k back in '91.

Do you remember the sound? Can you describe it?

I've noticed very few Rovescallis are ever available; maybe that's because the owners want to keep them?

March 20, 2019, 12:56 AM · Also, Scott, have you ever thought about tracking that violin down? It would take some effort, but depending on how many owners it's been through since then, maybe the current owner is retired and willing to sell it.

I feel like Francais should have records of who ended up buying it.

March 20, 2019, 10:13 AM · Erik,
I did trying stalking it on Facebook a while back. Was it married? Kids? Did it let itself go and get fat? Did it remember me and our hour together? Sometimes though you just have to let it go.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases