String Height Issue

Edited: March 13, 2019, 4:36 AM · I've been having some trouble lately with accidentally hitting other strings while I'm bowing, especially if I'm fingering notes and I get that ugly squeak sound. I'm just a beginner and I know that it's only natural that this happens from time to time, but I'm noticing it a lot more with my new bow. I don't think it's the bow's fault, however, because I tried the same passages with my old bow and I was getting the same squeaks and things.

I would chock this up to user error, but I've spent the last couple weeks trying pretty much every violin in the city under $3000 and I don't seem to have the same problem on those. Much less squeaking.

You might say, your string height probably needs adjusting, but I did take my violin to a luthier and he said he couldn't find anything wrong with it except the E string was a tad high, but within acceptable parameters.

You know what? I bet that's it. As I was typing this I just realized that I mostly have problems with squeaking when I finger the A string. I bet the slightly high E + my less than perfect technique is causing me to accidently bow the E and because my fat fingers are usually touching both strings, it gets that nasty harmonic squeak. See? Writing out your thoughts helps sometimes.

You can hear it in this video I made on the second take when I'm testing the Helicore Strings (You can also view this video as a comparison between Fiddlerman and Helicore strings)

Is there something I'm missing though? I was thinking about changing strings to something in between the Fiddlerman and Helicore, maybe a set of Zyex. Perhaps I'll get my violin setup (by a different luthier) when I decide to change strings and have him put the new ones on while he's at it.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Replies (4)

March 13, 2019, 3:13 AM · You may not have the proper curve to the top of the bridge, to allow you to play all the strings easily one at a time. The luthier should have checked this with a gauge. A template with a radius of 42mm.
March 13, 2019, 8:23 AM · I cut my bridge a little flat, but if I was beginner me and I didn't have the skill to work avoid the other strings I would lose my mind. If your E string is "acceptably" high, you can lower it a little.
March 13, 2019, 3:23 PM · I played again today and had no problems at all, so I don't know what's going on :p
March 15, 2019, 4:20 PM · There are days when I have to spend more warm-up time on string crossings etc. I even find that the extra time can have an effect the day after next..

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases