Any ideas on this Violin Maker?

Edited: March 12, 2019, 3:41 PM · Any ideas on this Violin Maker?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1V0phwlaMIv34-4FZ-8qA3gmhCzAbffM5?usp=sharing

Replies (16)

March 12, 2019, 4:13 PM · Dave, I have no idea, but unless the angle of your camera was odd, the book joint of the back is not symmetrical. On some photos it appears that it is a composite back, or that there is a stripe in the middle section. Also the top (neck position) looks a bit warped.

My 2 Canadian cents, rounded to 0.

March 12, 2019, 5:23 PM · I can't read the label. Can you?
March 12, 2019, 5:29 PM · No thats why I was asking lol

well the bottom says Bellevue KY 1921

March 12, 2019, 10:53 PM · I think it is Clarence E. Kerr Has anyone heard of him? Thanks
March 12, 2019, 11:49 PM · No mention in Wenberg's American Makers Book.
March 13, 2019, 1:58 AM · this is all I found online.
https://plus.google.com/109224049238099878685/posts/ihJ1kcLMojc
March 13, 2019, 2:38 AM · Looks like a German production violin finished in America, not a hand made American violin. Very common with American "makers".
March 13, 2019, 6:14 PM · https://www.violinslover.com/OutfitIn.php?I=C7050

Hey, I have no idea, shorry, but this would be an amazing choise, fo only 200 bucks. For a beginner. :)

sorry, I did not mean those spaces instead the letters, but I was anxious of replies....... And I don't have time to correct it :) :) :)

March 14, 2019, 7:29 PM · Is asking 800 way to much for it?
March 14, 2019, 9:59 PM · Not a bargain, if it sounded really good it would be less than its worth, but if you don't know what it sounds like its a bit risky.
March 15, 2019, 8:56 AM · So I should prob spend 150 to get it fixed up at least?
Edited: March 15, 2019, 9:08 AM · I charge 200 to set up; new bridge, new soundpost, level fingerboard, , new Tonica strings, treat pegs (or 100 to fit new pegs) polish varnish, and I'm really cheap by luthier standards. $150 may not be enough.

its really an average Markneukirchen production violin that some American guy has tinkered with, maybe regraduated, probably varnished etc. $800 seems high for that, you can get similar on ebay for $200-300

March 16, 2019, 6:10 AM · Dave, I could have you confused with anotber member but dont you have a wonderful Carlisle violin?
Edited: March 16, 2019, 12:30 PM · Jeff, That is indeed the same violin. Being from Cincinnati myself, and having seen 8 or so, I was interested and acquired it from him.
It is a 1943 J.R. Carlisle, # 1142, with a completely handmade label with thumbprint. It is a very formidable violin, a deep reddish orange, one piece back and is the Guarneri model. It is incredibly resonate and has a deep and very focused sound. IMHO I think this is one of the 75 or so masterpieces and completely made by his hand. So far this has been my favorite instrument, even more than some more illustrious and expensive fiddles.
March 16, 2019, 10:14 PM · Correct I was, lol Looking for more
March 17, 2019, 7:12 AM · The Carlisle violin really impressed me for some reason and thought how lucky Dave was to acquire such a fine gem. I suppose Dave's loss is Jeff's gain!

On YouTube there is a very interesting black and white video of James Carlisle and the various steps in making violins.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases