Phantom SR

March 11, 2019, 5:59 PM · Sidespin from another thread... Anyone tried the Phantom SR? (Either "original" or "adjustable") I like the look, and the idea in general, and I imagine that it might combine an ultra-low position of the violin with enough of tilt around the long axis, but I cannot figure out if mounting isn't rather a pain...?

Replies (15)

Edited: March 11, 2019, 6:00 PM · (And yeah, I do know about the qualities of the invisirest - got one lying around in my violin case, and still in use from time to time...)
Edited: March 11, 2019, 6:37 PM · Somehow I can't seem to find my invisirest, I haven't seen it in the longest time! Jokes aside, the Phantom SR has a unique design. I wonder however how stable it is, not much is holding it in place. Also it doesn't seem that easy to remove it when storing the instrument in the case.

http://www.phantomrest.com/aboutus.php

Edited: March 15, 2019, 3:34 PM · I keep mine in my wallet - it is flat enough for that and it is easy to misplace!

EDIT: (3.14 = PI Day) Sorry - I did not realize a phantom rest was not the same thing as an Invisirest. have found at least 3 other kinds of SRs that are quite unobtrusive and do not seem to affect the sound of a violin or viola. These are the Gelrest Micro, Acousta Grip and Xeros Shoulder Cushion. These attach to the back of the instrument by micro suction. In my trials none of them changed the sound of the instruments at all. They all have the advantage that they can be placed anywhere on the back of the instrument that suits the player. Another cheaper device similar to the Gelrest Micro is the Otto Musica Artino Magic Pad - but it seems to expose the back of the instrument (where it attaches with micro suction adhesion) to a more sound-absorbing material that the other SRs using micro suctimn.

March 11, 2019, 7:23 PM · I bought one a long time ago, and was super disappointed. I can't recommend it to others.

It lacks the rigidity to function properly, and its attachment system is very unreliable.

March 11, 2019, 7:27 PM · In theory, it seems so good; a way of playing near-restless but without the dampening effect of the shoulder touching the violin. But like most good ideas in the violin accessory world, it was poorly executed. Probably due to a lack of proper funds to do good pre-production prototyping.

What's going to happen is if you apply even the slightest pressure to the rest, it will bump against the back of you violin. And that's if you're lucky enough to have it stay attached to the end button.

March 12, 2019, 4:04 PM · Oops, Eric - that's exactly what I was worrying about...
But the idea itself still looks pretty good, in theory...
March 12, 2019, 8:19 PM · Just the name of the thing turns me off.
March 12, 2019, 9:57 PM · The marketing is a bit off-putting, but glad it may work for some.
March 13, 2019, 9:05 AM · A shoulder rest Attached to the end button? Not a good idea, I'm thinking of unwanted forces on the button from such an attachment. The only thing that should be attached to the end button is what it is designed for - the tailpiece cord.
March 13, 2019, 11:21 AM · Arguably the SR attachment is providing a counter force to the pull of the tail piece hence easing the tension on the button. My concern would be the possible wear on the button however.
March 13, 2019, 4:06 PM · Don't worry, the SR will detach itself from the end button way before the pressure ever gets high enough to be a concern.

March 14, 2019, 9:46 AM · An interesting invention, but not a great method of attachment. I liked it, in theory, but it didn't work well, and it scared me a bit as to the damage it might cause.
Edited: March 16, 2019, 8:51 AM · I was an early adopter, which I normally try and avoid, but I was too tempted by the design and theory.

It actually worked well for me,was comfortable and a proper height. I used it for several months and in my opinion and those I play with, it did not appear to affect my violin's sound.

The problem then was the design of the hinge. It being part of the rest and nylon (plastic?) it eventually failed on me.

According to my luthier, it didn't appear to have any negative effects on my end pin and was very secure during The 6 months of use.

I'm actually considering trying a newer version because it did work well for me. Keep in mind, I had the original model and it was not adjustable in any fashion, but I still liked the position and height.

I see now they have a different method of securing it to the end pin than the original did. I prefer the new method.

As an additional note, several experienced players tried mine on their violins, two of which play in our local symphony, and all but a couple actually liked it.

YMMV

March 17, 2019, 5:29 PM · How it looks, the height it gives seems to be no more than the thickness of an ordinary Kun rest itself, without feet. One might position the violin in a very low position, have a contact point very close to the collarbone (almost like playing restless, but with more "stability"), still keep a small distance to the shoulder, and achieve a nice (and even adjustable) tilt. From a distance this may look like having the advantages of both, SR and non-SR playing, but I also understand the concerns posted above. And the price is a little bit high for just adding it to my collection in the shelf. Even more as long as I'm not "too unhappy" with my current solution...
March 17, 2019, 8:01 PM · It's easy to check ... just see if any hardcore players (for example the juniors in competitions) use it. If it's useful we will start to see more and more performers use it. For me it's a good idea to sit down and be a sheep in the herd, especially when I'm not an advanced player.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases