Playonair Shoulder Rests

Edited: March 10, 2019, 6:34 AM · Thoughts on Playonair's shoulder rests? Thinking of trying out the Deluxe or the Duo Mate.
Tried playing without any shoulder rest but it just doesn't work for me. I have a regular shoulder rest on now but trying to look for a more comfortable but still affordable rest and Playonair caught my eye.

Replies (5)

March 10, 2019, 5:42 AM · In Vol 1 of The Way They Play, Oistrakh is very pleased with his new Play-on-Air type cushion. Asked if it absorbed too much tone, he said his Guarnerius had plenty in reserve..
Edited: March 10, 2019, 7:07 AM · Welcome Ivy!

I purchased one in the early 80's and it was a waste of my money,I probably should have known better to buy something like that that I could not test drive first. I cannot recall ever seeing anyone use one.

March 10, 2019, 12:24 PM · My first one deflated and I can't recall if I ever replaced it. But before it lost its air I thought it was too wobbly - maybe they changed since then.
March 12, 2019, 11:37 PM · I use the Deluxe model and I've been happy with it. My instructor uses one and I tried his first. For me, it is a good compromise between no shoulder rest, which I didn't mind too much, and the others shoulder rests I've tried, which resulted in some arm pain.

I started playing as an adult 3 years ago. I'm also tall and a bit husky.

Hope this helps,
Eric

March 13, 2019, 8:23 AM · I have been planning on trying one. I have a student who has one - she loves it and it works well. I know some violists who use play-on-air and it works well for them.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases