Favorite Recordings of Ravel's Tzigane?

March 6, 2019, 12:04 AM · What are your favorite recordings of Maurice Ravel's Tzigane? I'm particularly interested in recordings of violin with piano accompaniment rather than with a full orchestra.

Replies (12)

Edited: March 6, 2019, 8:07 AM · Two extremes:
Grumiaux, with "Ravelian" elegance, and
Oistrakh, with "Gypsy" fire.

I feel it is not a "fake" gypsy piece like Monti's Czardas, but rather an elegangt "re-creation" for the concert platform.

March 6, 2019, 9:02 AM · I have long been a fan of Philippe Graffin's interpretation.
March 6, 2019, 10:11 AM · @Pamela. Thanks for the recommendation; never mind the fiddling - I just love the sounds of the luthéal!
March 6, 2019, 10:53 AM · It was originally written for violin and luthéal too!
Edited: March 8, 2019, 12:45 PM · I love Grumiaux, but his version actually made laugh with how ploddingly slow it is; nothing gypsy about that one. I like Hirschhorn, Kogan, Ferras and Midori for this piece, though I could probably go my whole life without hearing it again. Edit- Just listened to Labko's version which is pretty stunning.

BTW, it really drives me nuts when the pianist slows down at their solo in the middle of the piece with the doubled 16th notes and just takes the whole momentum and energy out. I would much rather the pianist just cut the doubled notes and play it rhythmically if it is a technical difficulty of playing the doubled notes in time. If it's an aesthetic choice or if it's in the score like that, then that is just beyond me.

March 6, 2019, 3:41 PM · This one!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ObgSKBqTQ

Patricia Kopatchinskaja's version above was my introduction to the piece, so I've found a few other recordings of it to come across as a bit stuffy and pompous after that! There's also an excellent version of her playing it with Polina Leschenko at the piano on the album Deux. I've got tickets to see them in London in the Summer, I'm quite excited.

Edited: March 7, 2019, 2:03 AM · There is a lovely old Menuhin recording with Artur Balsam.
March 7, 2019, 11:17 AM · The version on Kopatchinskaja's album Rapsodia is also fantastic. The accompanist plays a cimbalom (a big hammered dulcimer-type instrument). Simultaneously wild and precise, like a lot of her performances.
March 8, 2019, 3:19 AM · I personally like vengerov for this one.
March 8, 2019, 5:46 AM · One of my favourite versions (which it was said that Ravel himself actually liked), is by Ginette Neveu. Really outstanding with a quality to it (about it?) that is just impossible to describe.

Cheers!

March 8, 2019, 6:05 AM · Heifetz (1950, live recording). And another enthusiastic vote for Hirschhorn.
Edited: March 8, 2019, 3:03 PM · Jascha Heifetz.

(with piano)

(with orchestra)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases