Classroom lessons

Edited: March 5, 2019, 5:27 AM · Morning guys,
How would you all make classroom music lessons approachable and engaging kids for secondary school age (11-16 approx)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies (8)

March 5, 2019, 6:31 AM · You're not teaching accounting or say Canadian history. Pick good music and raise your students' ability to play it, and the engagement will take care of itself.
Edited: March 5, 2019, 6:36 AM · Teach them ukulele. Four chords and they can play half of pop music. It's enjoyable, lets you teach them about scales and chords, and still easy.
Edited: March 5, 2019, 6:57 AM · I don't quite understand the question. Are you teaching secondary school kids or preparing them for secondary school?

My recollection is that in primary school I gate-crashed a xylophone ensemble. I played the recorder very badly.

In the first year of secondary school we sing-songed stuff like Mrs Hooligans' Christmas cake communally or took up an instrument individually and more seriously. I was shunted from trombone to French horn to bassoon and finally to oboe by the time I was 13.
I remember general purpose music lessons as being very dreary. Non musicians got bad reports; good musicians got good reports even if we slept through the lessons!

March 5, 2019, 7:05 AM · I'm with Susan. Teach Uke.
March 5, 2019, 7:13 AM · Uke seems to be the preferred instrument nowadays. Recorder used to be.
Recorders are still the cheaper instrument, but are less cool.
March 5, 2019, 3:43 PM · You can't play chords on a recorder. Recorders touch your mouth. You can't sing along while you play the recorder.

Conclusion: Ukelele >> Recorder

Edited: March 5, 2019, 5:03 PM · I taught students blues harp. Very affordable, once they learn the scale, they can play any song.

You may also consider hand bell/chimes. There are many pop play along in YouTube. One person one bell, easy and fun.

March 5, 2019, 10:25 PM · I'm not teaching anyone aha. I hear/see people discussing about children not being into classical music. Secondary school is a bit old I know to expose them to it, but it willl help enourmously

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases