The unusual note patterns in Kayser No. 22

March 4, 2019, 10:15 PM · Could anyone help me with the unusual note patterns in Kayser No. 22? It's in common time. But then, for most of the piece, it is showing semiquaver patterns with transparent note heads. They are different (which I am unaware of) and they are certainly not the semiquavers, because it is not tallying if I consider them to be the semiquavers.

Replies (3)

Edited: March 4, 2019, 10:44 PM · Hi Koustav,

This is condensed notation. It's means to alternate between the two pitches - the speed of the notes is based on the number of beams and the amount of notes is based on the note head used. A pair of half notes with a 16th beam would mean to alternate between those two notes for 2 groups of 4 16th notes and will metrically take the space of a half note.

Rhythmically measure 1 and measure 3 are the same. (The pitches obviously are different).

This saves space and makes it a little easier to read, but also when music was physically engraved on plates this was easier than writing out the same two notes 8+ times.

In measure 2 you have the dotted half note between C# B#, you would alternate between those two pitches for 3 beats at a speed of 16th notes.

(EDIT: 16th note = semi-quaver, sorry)

March 4, 2019, 11:11 PM · Thank you again, Michael!! It helped!
March 4, 2019, 11:19 PM · Always happy to help!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases