Tanglewood- Young Artist’s Orchestra

March 4, 2019, 7:29 AM · Hello! I’m new to Violinist.com! I’m very excited to be a part of this community! I have been playing for about 11 years now ( I’m 15). I have been accepted to the Young Artist’s Program at Tanglewood for the summer of 2019. Just wondering if anybody has attended this program before, and how have you found it? How intense was it? What were your experiences and some highlights of the program? What was the standard of playing there? Thanks very much!

Replies (2)

March 4, 2019, 8:34 AM · I assume you mean the orchestra program? I went a looong time ago. Like 20+ years ago. I absolutely loved it. The orchestra is reasonably high level -- it was higher than my youth orchestra at the time (NJ Youth Symphony) but probably comparable to top big city youth orchestras. When I was there it was very orchestra focused. 3-4 hours rehearsal every morning, sectionals in the afternoon, some chamber music. Not much time left over to practice, and in general kids there didn't do a ton of practicing. Having full access to all the concerts and meeting all the artists who come through during the summer was hands down the best part.

It wasn't terribly intense. We had plenty of time to socialize and go into town to hang out.

If you are mostly interested in orchestra I would say it is the best place to go. If you want to do a lot of practicing or chamber music there are better places.

March 5, 2019, 7:53 AM · This is the BUTI program? I went probably before her, but that was about my experience also.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases