how would i go about researching a violin

Edited: March 1, 2019, 3:12 PM · I have a odd situation and am wondering if I can research it or is it a lost cause.my great or great great grandfather bought a violin in 1855 that was made in 1835 it was deep red in color and I have a picture of him playing it.there is even a story of him playing in oklahoma when someone ran into the place and yelled Jessy James just robbed the Glendale train.kicked around the family my grandparents got it and took it to a profecional restorer.in the picture you can see a repair that was made but when my grandmother saw it she was mad.the color had been changed to natural or brown.she felt it had been switched. The tag inside says made in Czechoslovakia.no one caught that for some reason but someone took the time to try to copy the repair made to look like picture.I can see the difference but other family members think it is his which it can not be because Czechoslovakia didn't exist in 1855 when the violin came into the family. Is there any way to research what he may have had and is there way yo research sold violins for the repair that shows in the picture.he cut a piece and glued it into the hole so the shape of the opening that the sound comes from would stay the same.whoever switched it took the time to try to copy the repair.the restorer claimed that the red in 1980 was not worthy and would not last so that was his reason for changing the color. All I know is that at some point a copy was made and switched I assume because if the value but I don't know what or where to look..is this a lost cause trying to research

Replies (4)

March 1, 2019, 3:16 PM · it got switched
Edited: March 1, 2019, 4:17 PM · This is a straight-up switch. The color of a violin does not change and violins are not re-varnished in a different color.

This seems like the kind of thing where you would make a criminal complaint of fraud and theft against the restorer.

Edited: March 1, 2019, 6:01 PM · I realize it was switched what I am wondering is there a way to search for the orginal.its a strange thing.the restorer claimed that red was not good at the time and he also claims it takes a year for each coat to properly cure and he says he did five coats.it looks nice but I know its not the family's original violin because if where its made.alsobwould like to thank you for the input.
March 1, 2019, 6:08 PM · the other option is it wasn't switched, it was revarnished a different colour and the families story is not accurate, this happens all the time with family stories

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases