Gamut Academie Strings

February 28, 2019, 2:47 PM · Hello, Has anybody tried the copper wound G or gimped D string from the Gamut Academie string sets? I am curious in the difference in stiffness, tone, and response compared to the Tricolores and other gut strings. I normally play with a modern set up or use baroque tuning with a modern bow. The gimped D seems like it might have an interesting character to it.

Replies (3)

February 28, 2019, 6:40 PM · Haven't tried the gimped D from Gamut, but I imagine it would sound pretty good. Higher tension but at a lower diametre. I heard they go false quickly, though. No idea if it's true or not; I may buy one next time.

As for copper wound strings, they're a little softer than silver. The tone is different but it's not easy to describe.
I'm pretty sure the Chorda G is wound with silver plated copper wire. In any case, it's a bit like that.

March 1, 2019, 3:17 AM · The gimped D sounds extremely thin and choked, would not recommend at all. The regular plain gut D sounds much better.

The copper wound G has a nice tone, but far too much surface noise, also wouldn't recommend. Silver wound is better.

March 1, 2019, 2:56 PM · James, Thanks for your input! What gauge did you use?

I think I am going to end up ordering the different types to compare on my violin anyway. The regular gamut strings are very strong on my instrument.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases