Fundamentals make such a huge difference

February 28, 2019, 9:10 AM · I just want to share my experience of starting to play again after 20 + years. I started by getting a new bow. A Zhu Peccate copy, that made a huge difference in my playing. Than I found a teacher, she is so great, Schradiek, Wohlfahrt and the occasional Lullaby or Dance from a beginning violin book written in Cyrillic, titles only, so no clue who the composer is unless she tells me. Initially I could pull 4 notes out of one bow, but now thanks to Schradiek I can draw 16 easily in one up or down bow with good, steady tone. I’m up to Wohlfahrt 23 and love what every etude is doing to quiet my left hand, playing half tones and strengthening my 4th finger. I’m staying in position now better than I ever have, I definitely missed this step in my initial playing. I guess I fooled all of my previous evaluators , having played in many orchestras. These fundamentals that I am relearning are making my playing solid, and I am really enjoying , not only practicing but going to my lesson to be reassigned a new etude that will certainly target a key fundamental element, or build on what I have already learned.

Replies (5)

February 28, 2019, 4:59 PM · The joy of music!! Welcome back!
February 28, 2019, 5:42 PM · Hi Matthew!

Enjoyed reading your post and what you are working and progressing on.

February 28, 2019, 7:18 PM · I'm with you Matthew! I enjoy the studies too!!
February 28, 2019, 7:33 PM · Thanks for the sense of community. All you pros out there, y’all probably didn’t skip these seemingly unexciting sessions of repetition. That is why you are professional. Probably would bore you tears now but as for me, its very enjoyable and gratifying. For anyone else out there just getting back into it, I hope your enjoying reacquainting yourself with the “propers”, proper bow hold, proper posture, proper left hand, proper etc......Thanks again for the participation in the discussion.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases