My brow might be boke

Edited: March 3, 2019, 8:15 AM · I made the classic mistake of dropping my bow during rehearsal today—although luckily from a sitting position.
Three hairs snapped clean in the middle (somehow), but the ribbon was otherwise completely intact. Frog isn't chipped and the stick looks fine. The only thing I'm worried about is a hidden fracture along the stick somewhere catching me by surprise, because it made quite a hearty smack when it hit the floor.
It still tensions up straight, but I've never done bow repair so I have no idea. Is there any way to check to make sure that the stick is still sound? Or do I just wait until (if) it breaks to glue it?

Replies (23)

February 26, 2019, 11:52 PM · Try bending it real hard and see if it breaks in half.
February 26, 2019, 11:59 PM · Warning, don't try this at home!!
February 27, 2019, 1:42 AM · If it landed on the flat, it’s probably fine. The most vulnerable part of the bow is the tip.
February 27, 2019, 2:05 AM · You've given yourself the perfect excuse to go bow shopping. Enjoy.
February 27, 2019, 2:31 AM · We should have our stand by bow ready anytime anyway
February 27, 2019, 5:30 AM · Sorry Cotton, it's 100% broken inside. You'll have to apply a fine epoxy layer to the entire stick to ensure it doesn't snap and take your eye out the first time you do martelé with it.. I recommend using gorilla glue and an old credit card to spread it.

(I hope it's obvious, but this is complete sarcasm).

It's probably fine. I've had bows knocked quite a far distance and survive.

February 27, 2019, 6:05 AM · A little duct tape, super glue, and WD-40 and it will be good as new!
February 27, 2019, 6:10 AM · WD-40 should always be applied to the hair to ensure smooth playing.
February 27, 2019, 7:15 AM · Bo, thanks, that's a good tip for violinist-unfriendly stuff such as Bruckner 4. I shall prepare an old bow accordingly for the performance ;)
February 27, 2019, 7:45 AM · I'm afraid my worst fear has come true...
I'll have to make a silicone cast for my bow to protect it. It may not play as well, but it's a price worth paying for safety.

While I'm at it, I can put some rubber pads on the frog to mechanically insulate it from my fingers. Don't want to be damping what little vibration the stick will have left.

February 27, 2019, 9:00 AM · @Lyndon- " Warning, don't try this at home!!"

Where should he/she try it then??

February 28, 2019, 1:23 AM · I'll have to make a silicone cast for my bow to protect it

That's the spirit!

February 28, 2019, 9:49 AM · there's always duct tape.
February 28, 2019, 10:00 AM · Duct tape should always be applied to the hair to ensure smooth playing.
As long as it is attached with the sticky side facing the strings, you'll also be saving lots of rosin.
February 28, 2019, 12:26 PM · WD-40 on the hair also helps discourage the bow mites, meaning longer between needing rehair jobs.
Edited: February 28, 2019, 1:05 PM · John, that's great news, glad to learn! Didn't know about that...
February 28, 2019, 2:08 PM · Well, I just 'placed' my bow on the floor and this person came and stomped on it, yeah, it's plain to see it broke.. Go git yourself a watchmakers eye glass and any chink will reveal it self, tis also what you do to detect unravelling strings before its too late.
March 2, 2019, 4:14 PM · I think it is important to apply duct tape to your brow. Then send pictures.

Is your's a low brow or a high brow?

March 3, 2019, 6:33 AM · Trevor, I think Bruckner 4 is the most boring piece I've ever played!
March 3, 2019, 8:15 AM · Who changed the title? It was supposed to be like that!

Laurie. Tsk tsk.

March 3, 2019, 3:43 PM · Still looks boken to me.
Edited: March 3, 2019, 3:58 PM · When brows beak, they're boken. Simple grammar.
Edited: March 3, 2019, 7:57 PM · The OP seems to have delighted in the diversity of non-answers, suggesting to me that the post was mainly click bait. Which would not entirely surprise me.

But following up on Henry's answer to the question, "Is there any way to check to make sure that the stick is still sound?" you can look at the bow carefully under a magnifier or microscope.

The best solution might be to keep a backup bow in your case. Like a decent CF bow for example.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases