Umbrella Academy violin

February 26, 2019, 8:20 PM · The Umbrella Academy (show on Netflix) is packed full of violin music, since the main character (Ellen Page) is a violinist. Some of it I recognize and know what it is. Some of it is familiar but I can't name it, and it's driving me batty.

(This post prompted by a brief scene transition in episode 8 that uses a modern composition that I think might be Szymanowski or the like but I can't put my finger on.)

Anyone else watching?

Replies (14)

February 26, 2019, 8:27 PM · Can't practise if I'm watching Netflix.
February 26, 2019, 10:14 PM · I'm watching but not up to episode 8 yet. I like Cotton's answer but it's a great show.
February 27, 2019, 3:50 AM · I finished watching it some days ago. You have been able to recognize much more than me. I thought that they were just original compositions from Jeff Russo, the OST writer. I say that because I was impressed by the music selection (the song playlist) in each and every chapter, and hoped that they were in the soundtrack which instead is only instrumental, and mostly violin. They probably come from other classical compositions, but could not recognize them.
February 27, 2019, 9:19 AM · Slightly off-topic, but would you recommend the series? The premise seems somewhat odd to me, and I'm trying to decide if I should give it a chance or not.
February 27, 2019, 12:10 PM · How's the acting?

I remember twosetviolin was complaining about bad violin acting months ago.

February 27, 2019, 12:26 PM ·
Thanks for the heads up.Might make a nice weekend thing to see.Not sure what Susan mean't by the premise being odd though.I'll have to check it out.99% of all TV seems odd to me.

If it has dogs in it I can't enjoy it because my dogs bark at those dogs protecting their territory from an imaginary threat.Nothing like half nodding off when a pet food commercial comes on...

February 27, 2019, 3:27 PM · I just finished watching it last night, and it's terrific. If you like superheroes, of course. The first few episodes are slow, but they actually include a lot of visual detail which is meaningful later. The last four episodes of so of the 10 are where the payoff is.

The violin playing is... not quite cringe-inducing. Ellen Page has done interviews in which she talked about all the preparation she put into it, taking violin lessons. But it will probably bother you if you're a violinist. There are scenes where she's playing and they used a body double who is actually a violinist, but there are far too many close-ups where they aren't using the double.

February 27, 2019, 5:01 PM · The show is a fun pastiche of a lot of superhero tropes, in the spirit of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (or maybe more like that Dirk Gently series with Elijah Wood), with plot twists and time travel and a secret conspiracy. I don't like superhero shows, but I liked this. We watched all 10 episodes over three nights, I think. The last two are mostly filler to set up the second season, but still watchable.

When, during the first episode, Ellen Page was bowing the g string while the violin melody was much higher in pitch, I just told myself that I'd have to look past it all and watch the story. There were a few such moments. The actual violin playing on the soundtrack is not great. That Bach gigue was nothing spectacular. Still, the show is a good time. I look forward to the second season.

Edited: February 27, 2019, 5:17 PM · I haven't watched the show, but I saw a discussion of it on a friend's Facebook wall. It seems the violinist playing on the soundtrack is a local 16-year-old, rather than one of the many excellent studio musicians available for work...
February 27, 2019, 5:29 PM · I was pondering whether to watch this or not but now I'm definitely going to!

I saw a lot of TwoSet's followers posting comments on their videos about the "violin acting" in this show so I presume it's not great.
But I thought there were only a few violin scenes, if there is a lot of music throughout the show that definitely sparks my interest! And I happen to like superheroes, so it's a win-win :)

February 27, 2019, 7:42 PM · The violin playing seems to be varied.

The opening "Phantom of the Opera" medley is Lindsey Stirling. The score, when it features a solo violin, sounds like a professional studio violinist.

But for the solo Bach, for instance, seems like they chose deliberately chose someone who isn't a first-rate pro -- that aforementioned 16-year-old, Imogen Sloss, presumably -- and they chose a flawed take where the intonation isn't particularly secure.

Edited: February 27, 2019, 8:07 PM · I liked it, and would recommend it, actually. I read the comic some time ago (it won the Eisner award, which in comics is like he Booker or the Pulitzer) and I think that this TV show is actually better than the comics, which are a little bit too much-too fast.
It approximates it to the real world and, more importantly, it allows to a character development that is missing in the comic.
Some acting is superb. Robert Sheehan's (Number 4/Klaus) is one of the best actings I have seen, either in film or TV, but it's not the only one. However I think that the show is worth to watch just to see Robert Sheehan's acting.

It's not going to change your life, but I think it's a good quality show,

Regarding the violin playing/acting, I didn't find it remarkable in any sense... But I actually wondered which violin case was she using :-P Looked like a cheap chinese Aileen or so, but was lined by wood, Negri Diplomat Style...

And you know you play violin when a bow is used as a murder weapon and your thought is: "Great, now how are you going to rehair that before the opening?"

February 27, 2019, 9:59 PM · The bow wasn't the murder weapon. Take a closer look at that scene. :-)

I thought that looked like a Bam case.

Edited: February 27, 2019, 10:42 PM · Yes, I know :-P But it gets bloodstained...

I really think it's an Aileen-Artonus. Maybe made prettier in the inside for the camera...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases