Old cases

February 26, 2019, 6:26 AM · I know this is a weird question. For those of you who bought violin cases, what do you do with the default/factory case that comes with your violin originally (ie the one come with the outfit, or the one that hold the violin while it is shipped)?

I came a cross a chance to buy a used Bebolock half moon case. I have heard good things said about this brand. I don't think I must have or need a new case at the moment, but a good case last a life time, so maybe it worth spending money on one. However, part of me wonders where the factor default case that I currently have should go. Although this is just another massed produced, low quality case, it is in very good condition. Personally I don't have space to store more stuff in my apartment. I don't think there is recycling for old cases. It won't worth anything if I put it on ebay. I feel very bad to see this going to landfill. Just curious, what do you do with your old cases?

Replies (4)

February 26, 2019, 6:39 AM · I donated my old case to a local school. It was better than some of the old cases from the School District rentals.
February 26, 2019, 7:12 AM · Most cheap foam cases do not provide adequate drop protection for the violin inside.

Most old vintage cases do not provide adequate protection such as padding, good locking mechanism, and neck holder.

February 26, 2019, 7:33 AM · I think half-moon cases take up more room than "shaped cases" but still hold only 2 bows and have half the interior volume of oblong cases, which are heavier. Unless you are going to pack oddly shaped things around this case - it will take up almost as much space as an oblong case.
February 26, 2019, 8:39 AM · I have seen half-moon cases advertised as "looking like a tennis bag". So it may be a thing for a teenager who is afraid of being bullied carrying a violin case.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases