I was a happy-go-lucky violinist

Edited: February 26, 2019, 3:28 AM · Until I discovered violinist.com I never used to worry about:

My violin; auditioning for a better one is an angsty business
My bow; over the years I stopped noticing it
The strings; Dominant
The setup; if it ain’t broke it may come back sounding worse
The bow hair; when it’s gone...
The rosin; wipe it off occasionally
The case; just remember to place it INSIDE the car
The pegs
The fine adjuster
The tailpiece
The tailgut
The shoulder rest
The chin rest
The chin rest cork
or anything, really

Replies (19)

February 26, 2019, 4:20 AM · Did you ever record yourself?
Edited: February 26, 2019, 4:42 AM · You really made me laugh.

I always find funny the faces that my teacher makes when I tell him the things "I have read" that one has to do to maintain the violin...

February 26, 2019, 4:51 AM · Intonation?
February 26, 2019, 4:53 AM · You're not wrong. Sometimes I'd imagine I haven't had chosen violin so that I don't have to be obsessed with the tiniest change of my instrument.

That said, I was so happy when I experimented and found MY chinrest and that finally I can play without a hickey, and so happy when I found the right strings which gives my violin a powerful and beautiful ringing tone. (Dominant with pirastro gold e!)

February 26, 2019, 5:29 AM · @erik - all the time (see biog). What people make of it is another thing I don't worry about
February 26, 2019, 8:48 AM · Steve, you forgot to mention that you need to also worry if you started too late to get into a top conservatory...
February 26, 2019, 12:52 PM · @Timothy - I don't think my violin would benefit much from a checkup from the neck up, but with all this worry...
Edited: February 26, 2019, 2:33 PM · It's good that here one can get a "proffesional" opinion.
February 27, 2019, 6:12 AM · @Paul LOL!

@Horace I think obsessing about tiny changes is the case for any instrument really, there's always going to be something :)

Edited: March 4, 2019, 12:00 PM · Enjoy the journey, because the few who get there then have to stay there!
February 27, 2019, 8:12 AM · Brent, you're right. At least we don't need to make our own reeds.
February 27, 2019, 8:17 AM · Take heart: joining V.com is sort of a right-of-passage, a hazing if you will; eventually you laugh at the anal obsessions and go your own way, a wiser - if considerably older - violinist!
March 2, 2019, 12:39 AM · but what brand and type of pencil do you keep on your music stand?
Edited: March 2, 2019, 10:59 AM · There is a thread on that too: Click here to jump to thread
Edited: March 2, 2019, 12:04 PM · This returning beginner is taking notes on those things she should be obsessing about if she isn't already...My teacher will appreciate the additional items :-)

Adding to the above list

But what E string to replace that tinny overly-bright E string on my violin?

(my solution was Piastro Gold E to replace the Dominant E- and yes, I found THOSE threads a few weeks back)

March 2, 2019, 2:30 PM · Somebody on that pencil thread tried to talk about erasers! Really, that should've been a separate thread.
March 2, 2019, 4:21 PM · Do you play like a monarch?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases