Violin Repair in Osaka

February 25, 2019, 4:29 PM · My violin has 2 small (~1cm or less) cracks near the base of the neck. I am currently in the US but will be flying to Japan in under a week, so I don't think I have time to get it fixed here. I have a violin maker that I trust in Taipei, but I haven't found one yet in Japan, and I'm worried about taking it in for a big repair to a new luthier.

Does anyone know of a good luthier in Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe? If not, I hear that there are many good shops in Tokyo and would be willing to travel there if people have recommendations.

Replies (8)

Edited: February 25, 2019, 4:52 PM · There really isn't anything in Kyoto or Kobe. There is one shop in Osaka, but they won't be able to do anything quickly. I'll look through my stuff and find their business card and get back to you.

Yes, in Tokyo, no shortage of fine shops. I spend a good bit of time in Kyoto and have wondered why there isn't anything very good there, and wouldn't mind setting up a shop there, but it is difficult...

Edited: February 25, 2019, 7:07 PM · If you're returning to the US after your time in Japan, and if there's a luthier you know and trust here in the States, why not just leave this fiddle here for repair while you're gone and get a loaner for the trip -- or play on a backup instrument for the interim, if you have one?
February 25, 2019, 7:26 PM · Unfortunately, I'm going to be in Japan for the foreseeable future, so I'm also looking for a luthier that I can go to in the future.
February 25, 2019, 8:32 PM · A key question here: do you speak Japanese?

I’ve been to the shop in Osaka. It appears they have a luthier on staff there.

I love Japan! Hope you enjoy your time there.

February 25, 2019, 11:01 PM · I do speak Japanese, and I'm sure I could look up some violin-specific vocabulary before I go.

Does anyone happen to have a name or location of this shop? Has anyone had a repair or adjustment done there? Did they do a good job?

Edited: February 26, 2019, 8:51 AM · Kurasawa violin

http://www.kurosawaviolin.com/osakaumeda/

Never had any work done there, just browsed around a couple of times.

February 26, 2019, 10:42 AM · That's the place! I just found the card this morning. Sasano has opened a shop in Osaka and has a partner who does violin work, but I don't have the address with me. Andreas Preuss in Tokyo will do good work. I usually patronize Bunkyo Gakki, http://www.bunkyo-gakki.com/, Mr. Hori, the director will care for you well.
February 26, 2019, 1:38 PM · Thank you guys! I'll check it out when I get there.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases