Black parchment for wound gut A?

February 24, 2019, 2:48 AM · I recently got a tricolore A with aluminum winding and upon tuning it, the winding failed almost immediately (at the nut and then at the bridge). Upon inspecting the packaging, I realized a small piece of black parchment was included. I'm now assuming this was supposed to be put under the string where it meets the nut and bridge, to act as a lubricating surface for the relatively fragile winding?

Replies (9)

February 24, 2019, 3:05 AM · Darn, bad news. No, and I am sorry. My recent Pirastro Oliv A (week old) came with a rubber protector for the bridge, but I did not use it (much like with E protectors I also never use.) In another thread I mebtioned that Oliv A's winding going slightly loose, but not at the nut or bridge for sure.

Can't explain why that happened to you. Maybe a problem with the string. In their website reviews, I think a few others have had problems before as well.

Let me know how it sounds (if you will), as I have never used it. But it's a pity it may be defective.

February 24, 2019, 3:41 AM · I think it came with the black parchment for that reason. The D and G didn't come with it, but their windings have given no trouble at all.
February 24, 2019, 5:00 AM · Yes it is for the bridge. Do you already pencil the nut and bridge everytime before putting on and new string?
Edited: February 24, 2019, 9:48 AM · Graphite is very important. Need to pencil the slots.

I don't like wound gut As for this reason. To achieve the correct pitch and tension, they have to be remarkably small. The core of a wound G is already the size of a gut E, which is fragile enough as it is. A wound gut A is like a glass cannon.

February 24, 2019, 9:29 AM · I do believe Mr. Williams knows of the common tips above. The likely culprit may be the string.

If it's any consolation, if these winding separations are either on the bridge and top of nut, the tone should be uncompromised, and only problem would be if the string prematurely breaks.

In my case, the tone is fine, but am sure the winding will unravel further soon enough, as it's on the vibrating area of the string, even if the area is only fingered on virtuoso-or scale-works.

Edited: February 24, 2019, 11:10 AM · Could be a bad string, Could also be a problem with grooves.
What was the brand and the gauge of the previous A string?
Sometimes, the groove is too narrow, or is shaped by certain gauge / type of strings.
My cellist friend destroyed 2 brand new A strings in a row, only to find out that the grooves were bad. See your luthier. If the grooves are fine, ask Gamut to send a replacement.
February 24, 2019, 12:10 PM · That will sometimes happen with DIY nuts and bridges.
February 24, 2019, 1:55 PM · Maybe I'll just throw the previous plain gut A back on for now. It's possible it's the grooves in the nut. Although they're professionally done, it may be that they need to be catered to the extreme fragility of the winding on the gut string. Still, I'm going to reorder the string just to see if using the thin parchment provided makes a difference.
February 24, 2019, 3:15 PM · One more detail: to help a string stretch initially, secure the fiddle on your lap, (hold the neck with your left hand) place the thumb on the top of the bridge and pull the string 1-2mm up with index and middle finger. Tune it, then repeat after a few minutes of playing.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases