Metal practice mutes

February 23, 2019, 10:52 PM · Hi all, I am the one who asked about playing in an apartment a couple of days ago.

I'm now looking for a good mute and wondering if anyone's used a metal practice mute before? I've heard they're more effective but am a little worried about damage to the instrument.

Replies (12)

February 23, 2019, 11:03 PM · I've used one in the past with no problem. My current practice mute, which I very seldom use, has some kind of rubberized coating over a metal core.
February 23, 2019, 11:06 PM · Great, thanks
February 23, 2019, 11:15 PM · I'm guessing that Mary Ellen is talking about an "Artino" mute. Very effective and it grips better than the solid metal ones. But such mutes cut the response so much that your bowing can become rather brutal and you hardly know it. And intonation is harder to perceive too. They're cheap to buy, so it can't hurt to try one.
February 23, 2019, 11:21 PM · I know many disagree with me, but a few others do agree-if you have to use a heavy practice mute, go for the one Ms. Goree has now (rubber over metal), not the more common, all metal one that may fall on your instrument and if not break it, do something undesirable to it.

If you press it down hard it will ruin your bridge. If it's too light-and even in normal position, as has happened to me many times, and very reason I gave away mine-it has a tendency to bounce off and hit your precious instrument. Better off with a big rubber mute, which although mutes less, it still does its work while allowing for more bottom end frequencies (the tone is better, though it definitely is not a "good sound", as with most practice mutes.)

February 24, 2019, 1:54 AM · The heavy metal practice mute cuts the volume down to close to 100%, but I don't use it anymore, because if I drop it on the violin it will make a big permanent dent. Last summer I had a student group doing a Vivaldi 3-violin concerto. For one movement there was notation (in italian) to use a metal mute. I just happened to have one, very old. It sounds very different from the wooden mute, very effective, nasal, buzzy. If you do a lot of practicing with a practice mute I recommend using a second, back-up violin. The practice mute can dampen the response of your main instrument.
Edited: February 24, 2019, 3:27 AM · I tried a metal mute but found that it left the violin unresponsive for several hours afterwards. Was it damaging the wood of the bridge, which seemed to need time to recover? I moved on to the (less heavy) plastic-coated type mentioned above, with better results. Incidentally, referring to the risks of the heavy metal mute being dropped on the instrument, violins, like computers, should be considered no-fly zones: nothing sharp, heavy or wet should be allowed into their airspace!
Edited: February 24, 2019, 5:57 AM · (at risk of repeating others) Bare metal is horrible. You get the feeling that at any time it could damage your bridge or fall off and scratch your violin. Get an Artino or shop around for a heavy rubber one that works (some are less heavy than others and don't work). Every reservation about the Artino mentioned above I agree with. In addition, you don't get any of those sympathetic resonances that you can use for intonation and so on. Brutal bowing if you are experienced, maybe. But if you are inexperienced, it can mean confident bowing, and if you are inexperienced and timid, that can be very important. Tonalities can be weird - I haven't used one for a while (I've got a heavy rubber one that I like), and playing sul tasto could sound like a fly with bad adenoids.

Something about the Artino that is nasty is that it has two screws that look like adjustment screws, but they are pure decoration, and the mute is designed for quite narrow bridges. Fitting it for the very first time can be nerve-racking. I remember being quite violent with mine with screwdrivers trying to part the prongs sufficiently to fit it on my bridge. I succeeded more by damaging the rubber than by creating any movement in what is probably solid metal.

The bare metal ones fit better because they are looser, but that's precisely the problem with them. Otoh, bare metal and Blutack, could that work?

Edited: February 24, 2019, 4:08 AM · Look up "W mutes". They're about 50 bucks but quite good.
February 24, 2019, 5:53 AM · Listen to Erik Williams. He knows what he is saying. I must practice with a heavy mute since I usually arrive late at home. I bough a practice Wmute two months ago and the difference is astonishing. It’s expensive. But if you plan to use it in a regular basis, it’s completely worth it.
February 24, 2019, 6:05 AM · I have the Artino practice mute (rubber over metal) and am very pleased with it. I didn't have any issues with it fitting over my bridge and holds quite well. https://fiddlershop.com/products/artino-practice-mute-violin-amp-viola
February 24, 2019, 7:24 AM · This might impair visibility on a violin!
February 24, 2019, 7:37 AM · Here's an earlier thread on the same subject:
https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=1623

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins