Would Anyone Be Willing And Able To Play This Piece?

February 19, 2019, 1:48 PM ·

Replies (4)

February 19, 2019, 6:51 PM · What, by ear?
Did you write this, and do you have the music?
February 20, 2019, 9:04 AM · No not by ear. I'm sure the composer can get notation for it. I linked him to this post in case he wants to comment. The composer is David Carovillano.

The original idea behind the composition as I understand it from David was to showcase the Joshua Bell Violin library.

As a beginning violinist this looked very difficult for even a pro to play. I'm sure there are some here who are probably capable to do it.

This all stemmed from a discussion between composers on the functional validity of some compositions made in computers that when taken to real players can't be duplicated by the average player. This is all a very real issue because many of these composers are marketing their music to different segments of musicians. In this case the music is probably marketed to high level players.

My questions are, How valid do real musicians see music made in this way? Do you feel that there is a disconnect with the music because it was made in a computer? In some cases the composer has no concern about the ease of play in compositions that will never be marketed to real musicians. In many cases though, the opposite is true and they are marketing it to you and it might be seen on your music stand one day.

I see this a lot like an architect who seldom ever picks up a tool yet makes plans for a 6 story building inside a computer. Incidentally I have been privy to that scenario. If the Architect is out of touch all kinds of bad things can happen. For this reason I think it should be mandatory
that an architect works in new building construction for a few years before he ever attempts to make a set of prints.David IS a good musician . He does understand music and composition. He isn't a violinist though, so would you feel uneasy about playing a work like this?

Most of my music is relaxing music and isn't nearly as technically challenging. I could do this kind of thing if I thought there was an interest in it. Just looking for opinions from the players perspective.

Edited: February 26, 2019, 5:27 AM · Brahms had Joachim to make his concerto playable, an Beethoven's sublime concerto was the result of two-way exchanges with Clemenz...
February 26, 2019, 7:05 AM · Thanks for your comments @Adrian Heath,

After some more discussion with this composer, he tells me that typically he would be selective in who he approached as a candidate for one of his works. IOW he would not have ordinarily come to a place like this for feedback. He sells music on his website elsewhere and he has connections in classical music that he could use. I see his point, hawking tracks here looks like a person is desperate or isn't very picky or might be unsure.

I have heard stories from composers who heard their material played by an orchestra and in some cases the music sounded nothing like the intentions of the composer. In one case, the music was much longer than the original piece. Not sure how that happened? Most of the time the music starts out as either notation or midi and ends up a finished work which is often sold as notation to music outlets and purchased by all levels of orchestras. I'm not really trying to get myself into any of this seriously. It's a hobby for me mostly. I guess this is all up to the persons buying the music. The tune here looks to be highlighting the abilities of a software instrument. As a hobbyist composer, I would be coming more from an emotive perspective and not necessarily highlighting the capabilities of any one instrument. I think this might have been intended as a promo for SoundIron so it would make sense that this was the direction he took.
Overall I would say that much classical music seems to seek to push the limits of players, especially music written for violin solo's, and it makes me a little sad that technique that takes years to develop can now be very closely duplicated by a decent keyboardist who knows how to program midi.
As a beginner violinist myself, I think I would at least prefer the composer knows something about the instrument and what it takes to do what he or she wants to put into something people will play.I'm not against computers. I think composers can use them to a great advantage so long as they are aware of how that will impact the musicians.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases