online adjustable drone?

February 19, 2019, 4:11 AM · Hi everyone!

I am looking for a drone to play against for scale practice, but I would rather not have to make a large purchase... :)

Problem is...I tune to 442, my teacher to 443 (so I might tune up a bit), but all the online resources I have found are for 440 tuning and aren't adjustable.

Does anyone know of one that would fit the bill?

Thanks!

Replies (13)

Edited: February 19, 2019, 5:02 AM · I use an app on Android called Tunable for well.. tuning. As well as metronome, drones, etc.

You can adjust your A tuning frequency, temperament system, etc. Very useful.

(edit to include a link - https://tunable.affinityblue.com/)

February 19, 2019, 9:39 AM · you can build you own drones with online tone generators:

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

February 19, 2019, 9:58 AM · Does the app allow the drone to change according to tuning? I couldn’t find that feature mentioned specifically, and I want to be sure before I buy it! (I don’t need any of the other features)...

The online tone generator is cool! But...how do I figure out what the various pitches should be and adjust them accordingly? If I change it on one pitch, it doesn’t retain the change “relatively”, but goes back to standard tuning. So for example, if I want a C3 drone, but have my fiddle tuned to 443...and a standard C3 is 130.813Hz...I don’t know how to adjust that. Can someone explain perchance?

Edited: February 19, 2019, 10:26 AM · Try NCH Tone Generator. Use the Square wave mode for better drone effect. Select a note e.g. A4, and edit its frequency to your liking.
February 19, 2019, 11:25 AM · I know you are looking for online, but just yesterday I downloaded Audacity, and that allows you to generate drones in any frequency in addition to doing a lot more stuff that would be more relevant for recording.

It's a desktop program, but there may be phone versions as well.

February 19, 2019, 11:50 AM · If you click on the frequency number you can type in any number (with decimals). Unfortunately, you will have to do some math using interval ratios starting from 443kz to get the notes you want.
February 19, 2019, 12:17 PM · Does anyone know the formula? :)

I'm happy with the online tone generator, but I just don't know HOW to calculate the numbers...

Edited: February 19, 2019, 3:07 PM · It kind of depends on your system. If you are tuning from an A at say, 442, and you are tuning your strings in perfect fifths, then you need to apply a ratio of 3:2 to get the next fifth up, so multiply the frequency of A by 1.5 to get the frequency of E.

A4 = 442
-> E5 = 663
D4 = 294.667 ~ 295
G3 = 196.444 ~ 196

Those are pretty for sure. If you want a B that is a perfect 4th from your E, then B4 = 497.25 ~ 497. I would use that, but tuning discussions get weird and quickly move beyond me.

You can use a C that is a perfect 4th from your G, so that C4 = 261.926 ~ 262.

That leaves a whole bunch of other possible notes that I'm sure other people can advise you on. I wouldn't worry too much, since the idea isn't to memorize the pitches, but to have the tonic so that you can have other notes in relation.

Basically, a perfect 5th up from a given frequency is a ratio of 3:2. A perfect 4th up from a given frequency is a ratio of 4:3. An octave up is a ratio of 2:1. Divide if you want to go down.

February 19, 2019, 5:46 PM · https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/justdrones-tunable-just-intonation-drones/id348861427?mt=8

You can change the base pitch of this app...

February 19, 2019, 9:51 PM · Anita, I am curious, why do you want it to be online?
February 20, 2019, 4:14 AM · I decided to “tune” the drone with a tuner that’s set to 443...

Online simply because apps, software, or actual tuners tend to come at a price, and I’m a bit to the end of my resources currently...

Edited: February 20, 2019, 11:15 AM · OK, for future reference then, the NCH Tone Generator app is $10 if you are ever interested, but can also be used for free as well. It has served me well, especially the square wave mode which IMO produces more resonances than the usual sin wave mode used by most other apps.

Also, no need to bother with math, simply look up the frequency of the note you wish to use as a drone using a tuning app (there are some free ones) playing it on your instrument. This way no matter what tuning you use, it will always be optimal.

February 20, 2019, 2:26 PM · JustDrones is only a dollar! Well I guess you need to buy an iPhone too...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases