Different Colored fingerboards?

February 17, 2019, 8:00 PM · Greetings! I was wondering if anyone knew how some of the baroque style fingerboards are made. I mean the ones that look like stained and polished maple wood and not ebony. What sort of stain or varnish would be used to get that great look?

Thank you, -Zac

Replies (6)

February 17, 2019, 8:51 PM · I always loved the look of flamed boxwood and maple fingerboards, too—especially with nice purfling. They really look awesome; I'm not sure why basically everybody just goes with the simple ebony look nowadays (aside from durability).

I guess that would be the issue, though. The sheen you see on those nice baroque fingerboards can't be anything but shellac or some sort of resin based varnish, and those would eventually wear out, leaving your fingerboard to go a nice, splotchy shades of sweat-and-grime green.

February 27, 2019, 12:50 AM · Some early boards were plum or pear wood. Most early boards are long gone so it is hard to know, but you can see them in old paintings. Boxwood is also possible and harder than the others. Possibly jujube.
February 27, 2019, 7:21 AM · Sapient pearwood for the fingerboard will, so I am advised, improve your performance beyond all recognition.
February 27, 2019, 8:22 AM · Trevor - what about a violin case from that same sapient pearwood to help protect it from theives... or so I'm told :)
February 27, 2019, 10:00 AM · Catherine, my source also suggests that a sapient pearwood case would keep the strings, violin and bow always in perfect condition, and you'd never lose it either!
Edited: February 27, 2019, 10:35 AM · Indeed! You may, or may not, be allowed to actually remove it from the case, or so has been reported, but it would be very well protected.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases