Is it possible to show who has initiated a thread in the forum list

February 17, 2019, 11:31 AM · In order to avoid "certain people's need for attention", is it possible to show the name of the thread originator on the main topic subject listing page?

I can see that one problem would be not enough real estate to put the added text. Perhaps just their initials.

Replies (7)

February 17, 2019, 12:29 PM · It's not that hard to spot a topic by Mr. Professionally Catchy.

Usually the title gives it away.

February 17, 2019, 12:53 PM · This feature was intentionally removed when the site underwent an overhaul a few years ago. I presume the idea was that the thread should be judged on its own merit, not by who posted it. I find that all the thread titles run together after a while, so if I've been away for a few days and I want to catch up, it's hard to go back and search for the thread by Anita, or by Lydia, or Buri. I guess it's possible that if you're loading the page, if you have the title AND the author, that's twice as many SQL calls to the database, so maybe that would slow it down some, but that's hard to imagine for a professionally hosted site.
February 17, 2019, 1:43 PM · There are two posters at least whose titles are distinctive and easy to avoid if that is one's preference.
February 17, 2019, 2:52 PM · One could also put one's initials at the end of the title, perhaps in parentheses for the avoidance of doubt.
February 17, 2019, 5:40 PM · I've not been haunting here for a while, so I'm only clued into the one who has a problem with double consonants. Yes, I should know better than to click on some of those titles. I guess I had to click on two of them in a short period of time to catch the drift. I wonder how that person is able to position their violin over that chip on their shoulder?
February 17, 2019, 6:27 PM · After many years running this board, we decided not to list names. The focus should be on content, not on posters. Mark as spam the posts that are a problem and we can review and delete them.
February 17, 2019, 6:59 PM · Trevor! Good idea! +1

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases