Does Ernst Heinrich Roth make bows?

February 15, 2019, 8:07 PM · ^ see title.

I'm mainly asking because I'm trying out bows from my local shop, and one that I'm starting to grow fond of has the name 'Ernst Heinrich Roth' stamped near the frog. Also, so far, I've only seen this name associated with violins, not bows, so I kind of want to doubt its credibility...

p.s. It's a tiny bit heavier than the other bows (I would assume are all 'average' weight), but I can produce a much clearer sound with it than others (it is significantly louder though).

Replies (3)

February 15, 2019, 8:18 PM · I've sold many Roth branded bows over the years. I doubt that the firm made them, rather they purchased them from wholsalers or shops and branded them with their name.

Some of the silver mounted ones have been very, very nice. Never seen a gold mounted one. Typical German work of the period and place.

February 16, 2019, 1:19 PM · I have a 3/4 size viola bow that came with my EHR viola circa 1964. It’s an ok student bow.
February 16, 2019, 5:49 PM · Yes, there are many bows with the EHR stamp, and many are very good and serviceable German bows.

What is the weight of the particular EHR bow you are considering?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases