V.com discussion 'like' buttons??

February 11, 2019, 9:12 PM · I know its very FB like, but I think the discussion area of V.com would really benefit from a 'like' button on each comment. One problem is that as the topics get longer it becomes increasingly difficult to read all the responses and identify the strong ones. A 'like' counter would help me at least.

Replies (36)

February 11, 2019, 10:02 PM · *like*
February 11, 2019, 10:14 PM · The existence of a "+1" button might be nice.

I actually want something simpler -- a "jump to the bottom of this thread" link at the top of the page. Much of the time the what's-new-since-the-last-time functionality doesn't work.

February 12, 2019, 12:10 AM · I dont like the idea at all. It sort of makes a rank i the responses in the discussions and Im not sure whats the point of making some answers get more prestige than others. I do like it that if someone likes someone elses response then one may write iti in words, it sort of makes things more civlized and human. And as people behave here very well compared to FB why change anything? In fb many people are so rude that it makes my heart sometimes cry for myself and for others.
February 12, 2019, 1:33 AM · What makes you think that a post receiving most likes is the most substantial, or strong one?

Nothing on social media points in that direction.

February 12, 2019, 3:36 AM · +1 for the jump-to-the-bottom. Curiously, *sometimes* v.com only shows me the responses I have not seen yet, but for some reason this works only rarely.
February 12, 2019, 4:17 AM · "What makes you think that a post receiving most likes is the most substantial, or strong one?"

Because most of the people on this forum are intelligent and well meaning and are able to make reasonable decisions.

And I don't share your cynicism.

Edited: February 12, 2019, 5:33 AM · I agree with the idea of a "top comments" function but "liking" makes it too much of a popularity contest. 'Safer' opinions (and opinions from people we think are more knowledgeable) will always end up at the top. I'm not cynical at all, I think this would realistically be what happened.

I wonder if it's possible to have one without the other?

February 12, 2019, 5:53 AM · I like forums that allow members to award individuals positive or negative karma. I'm a karma whore and it makes me behave better.
February 12, 2019, 6:49 AM · I have never done Facebook, or Twitter for that matter, so I am unfamiliar with how that would work but I like the idea of a “like” indicator. The comments need to be displayed in a sequential manner and not by like rating, or the comment may not be understood - they build from each other in a well mannered thread.

Too often a comment is slightly, or largely off the OP’s topic. The ensuing comments are sometimes directed towards the OP question but as the thread grows, many comments slide to be directed more towards others comments which makes the whole thread difficult to read and parse. I offer the suggestion of being able to comment on individual comments in some sort of a hierarchical manner.

February 12, 2019, 7:55 AM · I wonder if "Like" is patented by Facebook. Lydia's "+1" alternative would have the same function without the "ick factor". I agree with Lydia also that it would be nice to have "scroll to the bottom" and "scroll to the top" functions.
February 12, 2019, 10:48 AM · I have mixed feelings about the suggestion, I think it makes it just too easy to like or dislike rather than making a more substantive contribution to the discussion IMO, and probably even influences some posts. What I'd rather see is the ability to jump to last read post, and back to the forum posts listing from the end of a thread.
Edited: February 12, 2019, 5:37 PM · I think Gordon is onto something - Reddit-style upvotes/downvotes, based on whether it contributes to discussion (not "whether I agree") would be a good idea.

Also, James is right in saying there needs to be some sort of sequence to the discussion.

February 12, 2019, 6:27 PM · Look into why Facebook created those “like” buttons and you won’t want them.

February 12, 2019, 6:52 PM · Perhaps good ideas, good advice, truth etc can all be very unpopular?
Maybe a 'yikes' button would be better?
Edited: February 12, 2019, 9:26 PM · A quick look at any of the Krakovich threads should convince everyone that "like" or "upvote" buttons are a bad idea here.
Edited: February 13, 2019, 8:17 AM · I had the same thought as Andrew. We'd appear to be ganging up on Mr. K. Also, sincere audio/video posters take a big risk, and with like buttons it'd be way too easy for every Tom, Dick, and Harry wandering onto our site to "like" any well-meaning (or not so well-meaning) criticism. It would discourage folks from posting their playing for feedback.
February 13, 2019, 10:51 AM · Instead of a "like" I'm commenting that I agree with several responses here, especially being in line with the reasoning Timothy expressed.

I personally don't care for a "like" or comparable option in regard to posts. I too believe it to be a proper and contributing response to a comment to actually interact, whether you agree or disagree. If one agrees or likes a comment, I prefer to see why or an explanation. Especially on a forum such as this I actually gain insight into a subject with that type of actual communication, that being a contribution to my continuing education in violin and associated matters.

I frequent another forum on another subject that recently dispensed with their "like" and "love" buttons at the request of a majority of the members due to various reasons, one case being that it was realized that often the most "liked" comment was inaccurate or wrong, leading inexperienced or new members astray. Another was that due to some people needing constant affirmation, when same said individuals didn't receive their perceived due "likes" they would complain, overload a thread with their justifications or arguments or even leave the forum.

If I post a comment that someone agrees with, rather than hit the "like" button, I prefer a response as to why you like it, or better yet,contribute additional reasons or data supporting my comment that I failed to include. Correspondingly, if one disagrees with my comment, I prefer a response as to why over the "dislike" button some forums offer.

That's my opinion whether you "like" it or not :)

February 13, 2019, 6:45 PM · Pretty sure we're already ganging up on David (whether or not we're right to do so).
Edited: February 14, 2019, 12:44 PM · Thank you for the idea and I always welcome ideas, but the "like" buttons are unlikely here! :)

I "like" the most robust and nuanced discussions, where people talk a little more deeply about why they agree or disagree. Also, I agree with the point that a lot of "likes" don't always hold up quality, and sometimes actually lead people to create "likeable" stuff that isn't actually helpful or worthwhile!

February 14, 2019, 12:47 PM · Re: David, I don't consider the honest critiques to be "ganging up." But I have no doubt that, if "likes" were possible without actually posting, especially if the identities of the people "liking" a post weren't visible, some of the outright mockery would get a ton of "likes."
February 14, 2019, 6:59 PM · Lydia, if you want a "jump to the bottom of the thread" button, most browsers will go to the bottom of the page when you press Alt-End.
February 14, 2019, 11:21 PM · I feel that once something has been said & agreed with a few times, any further repetition counts as "ganging up". But some people are just asking for it.
February 18, 2019, 1:07 AM · Timothy said ",,,,I realize that by calling it violinist.com this seems very selective.I'm sure you have your reasons for this approach and I plead ignorance as to why it's like that.I don't intend to step on any toes. This is just my observation from the outside."

Timothy, a cellist in our ensemble says she's a member of two cello spefic forums that discourage deviating from cello related subjects. I also have found three viola specific forums since I've developed an interest in the viola. The Internet is rife with subject specific forums whose intent is not so much to exclude but to focus on specific subjects so as prevent the threads/posts from deviating too much from the subject that brought the readers and participants to the site in the first place. If I want to talk about or get information on the viola, I will go to a viola forum and hope they don't talk about violins or cellos much. Same here. I appreciate and prefer forums specific to my interest and find it frustrating to dig through threads about subjects not associated with the specific intent of the forum, not to mention derailed threads in the same vein.

I was looking for a forum dedicated and specific to the violin and the name of this forum helped me choose this site originally. If it was more of a "strings" forum, I would have moved on. In that regard, you might actually prefer a less instrument focused forum, such as a string forum. For myself, I appreciate and support this forum as I have learned much, without much frustration I might add, due to that fact that it's primary focus is the violin and it's associated subject matter.

I don't believe in any way that the goal of this forum is to be exclusionary, just violin specific.

To note though, since I have been visiting this site, I have found it to be very tolerant when other instruments have been brought into the mix, much more so than other string instrument forums I have visited.

February 18, 2019, 4:03 AM · To me, "like" buttons are too kitschy for a site like violinist.com.
They would cheapen it.
February 18, 2019, 4:20 AM · I think that the number of replies to a given topic is already an indication of how much it is liked (pun intended)! No need for further complication, IMHO.
February 22, 2019, 9:49 AM · About scroll to top, scroll to bottom: most PC keyboards have "home" and "end" keys that do exactly that. You have to press something like alt-page-up or something. On mac full keyboards there are arrow keys pointing northwest and southeast to the same effect. On a mac laptop you can press command-arrow-down and up. So that leaves smartphones and tablets...
Edited: February 22, 2019, 12:03 PM · I'll rank Vioinist.com among the two best orchestral stringed instrument sites in the world.

One of the things I really like is that Violinist.com doesn't pester me relentlessly with junk like,
"Your third uncle's one-year-old stepchild has learned to suck through a straw. Since you either are or are not related, you may be a genius too!!! Take your genius test today for only 40 dollars." LOL

Violinist.com seems to be largely free from the most egregious forms of money-hustling.

Edited: February 22, 2019, 2:06 PM · Well, free from money-hustling aside from one member who is trying to make his career take off without practicing...

But I agree, like buttons would cheapen the website. The Report as Spam button works just fine and a "Like" button runs the risk of only allowing certain content to bubble up to the top at the expense of other content, most of which is just as valuable.

@David I played one of your violins this week (if you are indeed the same David Burgess who made the instrument). It was wonderful, even for a rookie like me. Is there an easy way to find your instruments? The dealer I went to said they don't typically carry yours.

EDIT: Dealer also let me jam on a [xxxx] worth [yyyy] and I don't think your fiddle loses out :)

February 23, 2019, 9:55 AM · James and Timothy, thanks so much for your interest. I'm pretty severely back ordered, and used ones don't seem to come up at dealers very often. If you're ever in the area, I try to keep a sample instrument here which you'd be welcome to play.
March 4, 2019, 5:21 PM · Interesting discussion. I hope I'm not offending anyone with a little levity in suggesting a few unusual "buttons."

[_]-Too technical
[_]-Entertaining
[_]-Peculiar
[_]-Impractical
[_]-Heifetz would never agree
[_]-Unrelated to the violin
[_]-eeccchhh

:)
Cheers,
Sandy

Edited: March 6, 2019, 11:44 AM · Sandy - LOL! But you're missing

[__] Throw them off the island
[__] Personal attack!
[__] RECORDING CONTRACT!

This could be a whole new thing...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases