LAURIE, please help: Search function not working

Edited: February 9, 2019, 9:05 PM · What happened to the three hour challenge discussion thread?

Replies (35)

February 7, 2019, 9:20 PM · Archived.
https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=2463
February 7, 2019, 10:38 PM · Thread continuance: LINK
February 8, 2019, 11:14 AM · There was a another thread that disappeared ... someone who returned after reaching the Fiocco Allegro level and wanted to know what concertos she should be working on.
February 8, 2019, 8:14 PM · These days, threads get archived and disappear off the main page index. Problematically the old threads are from 2017 and earlier, and there doesn't seem to be an index for all of 2018 or for 2019-to-date.
February 8, 2019, 9:04 PM · Looking for a DBA?
February 9, 2019, 8:40 AM · "Looking for a DBA?". He's getting a ride with Godot...
February 9, 2019, 9:36 AM · Lydia the problem there is that the search feature doesn't actually work. Try searching for your own name. Then sort the results by date. Epic fail.
Edited: February 9, 2019, 2:39 PM · I agree, Paul. The broken search functionality is very frustrating, and it seems that a lot of things aren't being indexed.

Jocelyn, could you change the title of this thread so it draws Laurie's attention?

Edited: February 9, 2019, 4:02 PM · I was the one who wanted to know what to work on! Last night I learned the Mozart Minuet in Suzuki 7 after doing some double stop melodies (I forget the author, but it's Melodious Double Stops, a blue book), which didn't go too horribly. Spent maybe am hour or so on it. I tried numbers 2 and 3 in the same book, but ended up getting frustrated after the next hour and a half.

I might look in book 6 and see if there's anything more my speed.

February 9, 2019, 9:43 PM · Malodorous Double Stops is by Josephine Trott.

Key to double stops: Be patient and put the elimination of strain as a very high priority. A good test of whether you are succeeding at eliminating strain is whether you can manage a little vibrato, even though you don't want to practice your double-stop studies with vibrato.

Edited: February 9, 2019, 10:12 PM · Hi Everyone,

Thanks for letting me know your concerns!

Looks like you want more scrollable archives, we'll get that up in the next few days!

Also, the search function does indeed work, that's where you type words into the search bar at the top of the page and hit return. So that is something that you can use in the interim, or whenever you would like!

Threads are archived after 30 days, after which you are welcome to start a new one on the same topic, if it's still going.

Let me know if there is anything else!

February 9, 2019, 10:19 PM · Just because you got a few hits on a keyword doesn't mean it's working. I think the search box just initiates a site-limited Google search. But as Lydia said it doesn't seem to be very thoroughly indexed.
February 10, 2019, 12:17 AM · What Paul said. Many newer posts do not seem to have been indexed.
February 10, 2019, 7:47 AM · What I have been doing for a number of years is to copy each post I make here onto a word processor file, together with the date, number and title of the discussion thread. It is therefore a simple matter to do a CTRL-F search on the file to find out when I last discussed, for example, the topic of Monteverdi's violin concertos. Actually, that's not a real example because Monteverdi didn't compose any (as far as I know), and so I didn't discuss them. However, in the future, were I to do a CTRL-F search in my file on that particular topic then this thread would pop up in the result.
Edited: February 10, 2019, 2:01 PM · LOL Trevor what happens when you want to search someone ELSE's posts?

Edit -- I emailed Laurie to give her (another) heads-up. She is very responsive. I expect she will fix things up just fine.

February 10, 2019, 2:25 PM · The search is working perfectly. Search "hour challenge", sort by date, and the original thread is at the bottom of the first results page. It is true, however, that Google does not seem to update its index on a daily basis for v.com, more like every few days.
February 10, 2019, 7:03 PM · Paul, but I don't have other members' posts on my word processor file!
Edited: February 10, 2019, 8:20 PM · Thanks for letting me know what's going on, everyone. We'll look into it and do as much as we can, but when it comes to how fast Google indexes the pages, there may not be so much we can do about that! But we will get the archive business in gear, it just may take a few days.

And also, I'm always happy for you to remind me or give me a heads-up and e-mail me about these things!

February 10, 2019, 8:56 PM · Laurie, my guess is what's happening is that pages are being archived before they get indexed. So much of 2018 and 2019 has never gotten crawled, because there are no public links to these posts on the site, and therefore Google never finds them.

You should take a look at your crawl stats (in Google's webmaster tools) and make sure that you're optimizing the frequency where Google crawls the site. You should be able to get nearly 2 crawls a day by default. See this: LINK

Edited: February 11, 2019, 1:54 AM · Hi Everyone, we have created the scrollable archives, so I hope that helps when you are looking for posts.

Lydia, the archived posts are still public links. Is there a particular discussion that you are unable to find in a search?

Edited: February 11, 2019, 2:41 AM · Usually searches are terrible. "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: premonstratensian." Ugh!
February 11, 2019, 7:39 AM · A good example: Search "Anita Kaul". Note that only two threads show up, but she's posted several.
Edited: February 11, 2019, 9:31 AM · Ah, you want to search names of posters, we may be able to make that work better. It leans more to topics at this point. You can now scroll back through them indefinitely, though!
February 11, 2019, 9:31 AM · If you're relying on Google to index your site, I wonder if there is a way to promote that. I'll bet Google prioritizes that work somehow.
February 11, 2019, 9:33 AM · Also, if people delete their own threads, they won’t be there. That could be another reason you don’t find something!
February 11, 2019, 9:39 AM · Anita's threads have not been deleted.
February 11, 2019, 9:40 AM · So did you find them?
February 11, 2019, 9:41 AM · Did Kristen Stadelmaier delete her own thread?
Edited: February 11, 2019, 9:45 AM · Also, threads that didn’t have a lot of responses won’t index as high. That s just the way the searches work. But they are all there to be found, if not through the search bar, you can scroll back for them.
Edited: February 11, 2019, 10:01 AM · They don’t just disappear unless they are deleted, so if you truly can’t find it through the ways provided (either scrolling back through the threads or searching), then maybe so. What was the name of the thread?
February 11, 2019, 10:14 AM · One thread title is "Preparing to possibly prepare for auditions". If you search, for example, [prepare for auditions], that thread shows up in the results. But interestingly, if you search [anita kaul] it does not show up, although these words appear in the thread. This may be an artifact of how Google's way of determining whether a result is "relevant" works.
February 11, 2019, 10:14 AM · I wonder if the omission of author names in thread headings on the Discussion page is messing with indexing.

If you search by first name only you get more hits than if you search first and last, although it brings up other threads which include that name.

Under relevance it doesn't list by number of responses. There are threads with much fewer responses being listed above threads with many more.

Edited: February 11, 2019, 11:46 AM · When it comes to the searches, the number of responses doesn’t matter as much as the number of people who have ever looked at the thread, whether they responded or not. So generally the ones that have been indexed the most (looked at the most) come out highest for relevance.
Edited: February 11, 2019, 10:41 AM · Jeewon that was by design, so people respond to the merit of the topic rather than just following certain people.
February 11, 2019, 1:32 PM · I wonder if you get a certain list by "relevance" and it only shows one "page" of results -- then if you sort by "date", are you sorting the entire list of search results, or only sorting the first page? To test that you'd need to be able to expand the number of results per page.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic