My Yita violin review

February 5, 2019, 3:04 AM · Hi,

I just want to post my experience with Yita violin and hope to help some of you who might be interested.

I bought a T19 back in 2012. I forgot how much I paid for it but I think it can had be now under $300 including shipping now. It is a decent instrument for beginners and intermediates. The peg turns well. Nothing major wrong with this instrument except that it is not as resonating as my primary instrument. It lacks the "ring" which could be useful for developing intonation.

Two weeks ago, I bought a Master model. I can't comment on the workmanship but am impressed by how it plays. It rings very nicely. Notes are clear and not mushy. All high positions notes vibrate and sound clear (10 pos.+) and no dead notes (my primary has a dead note on the highest G string). It has a loud and open tone. I think I need ear plug on my left ear to practice on this violin

The strings that came with the instrument are crap but I don't expect nor need good strings to be fitted as I can change it myself easily.

Tuning this violin is a joy. The pegs turn so well and double-stop fifth sounds very clearly. I used to have to listen hard to make sure there is no beating. With this violin, I can tune each string in half the amount of time because the perfect fifth sounds very pure.

The only issue I had was the action was too high. After hearing about people complaining about the poor setup of Yita violin, I took the violin to a top violin shop in my city (Geo. Heinl in Toronto). I requested a new bridge to be fitted and trim down the nut. TO my surprise, after inspecting the violin, Mr. Heinl indicated the nut could be trimmed down but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the bridge. It was cut and fitted properly. He talked me out of getting a new bridge cut. The soundpost looked fine as well.

After trimming the nut down and replacing the stock strings with Vision, the violin play wonderfully. it will now be my primary instrument.

Replies (11)

February 5, 2019, 6:52 AM · You're right that it's easier to hear the tuning (and your intonation) when the violin is better. So that's pretty good evidence that you upgraded significantly.
February 5, 2019, 10:18 AM · I love my Yita violas. All of which required some work (nut too high, soundpost re-positioning, bridge arch reshaping, and what not). But they have all sounded very nice once adjusted.

I'm surprised about not swapping out the bridge, as all of the Yita bridges I've used seem to be made of sub-optimal wood. I.e.- not as hard as a Aubert or other quality bridges. Or did your master model come with an upgraded bridge already?

February 5, 2019, 10:40 AM · I'm playing on a Master violin. I used to play on a 1933 English violin, which was quite nice. I bought a T 20, and liked it, so I took a chance on a Master violin. Since, two colleagues have bought one after hearing and trying mine.
It's now been my first choice forabout 6 years.
Speaks very easily, and is nice and even all the way up the strings.
February 5, 2019, 12:02 PM · I'm a yita bit convinced this is a fine instrument. May I ask what you paid for it?
February 9, 2019, 4:16 PM · I think it was $1200.
What I've found is that I sound like me no matter what I'm playing.
February 9, 2019, 9:35 PM · For my "vacation" violin I have a Yita T20 purchased on Ebay for around $350 2 1/2 years ago, and it's just stunningly good, just delightful to play, and very pretty with a red oil varnish. It needed a new nut and good strings but everything else was fine. It's strong across all four strings -- nobody listening would have any clue it's a cheap violin. Clearly the Yita workshops employ competent people and they source good wood.
February 20, 2019, 1:40 PM · Has anyone understood what the three colored letters stand for they have on the overview picture in the upper left corner together with the eventually better bridge and string brand?

Chinese and three letters makes me think of names, but maybe also some grading scheme in short?!?

Edited: February 20, 2019, 4:22 PM · I believe the letters are simply there to help them keep track of what pics go with what instrument. They do crank through quite a number of them every day/week/month. Cataloging the correct image to go with the right violin is sure to be a challenge.
I just received violin “GYR” yesterday.

Using letters instead of numbers allows each place to have 26 different values instead of the usual 10 described using digits (0-9). There are 10 choices for each digit giving 10 x 10 x 10 = 1000 possible three digit numbers. There are 26 letters in the alphabet so there are 26 x 26 x 26 = 17576 possible 3 letter "words"

February 25, 2019, 3:33 AM · I'd like to echo Thomas's experience of a Yita T20 violin. I've had one for several years but never gave it the full attention it deserves. Recently I've auditioned many quite expensive old and new violins and bought and sold several cheaper ones at auction. Some of them I liked, others I put down quickly. Today I dusted off the T20 (it's been hanging on the wall) and behold - all Thomas says is true! "So you won't be buying any more violins?" she says. "Well..." I say.
February 25, 2019, 8:25 AM · Steve....sounds like you can't justify buying any more violins.

Time to buy some Yita violas! I've had 6-7 of them so far...

February 25, 2019, 9:07 AM · Malcolm thanks for sharing the price. This seems a very reasonable price for a decent violin. I watched a few of their videos when I bought my last violin. I was skittish about mail order for an item like this and there were a few shops local to me, so I opted to try those first.

I wouldn't mind a Chinese violin, I just don't want it to look or sound like a Chinese violin in the sense that I identify Chinese violins as a whole.It's nice to hear from someone who has tried this brand and is happy with it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases