"Classical - Pop" - "Duet" with Yardena Arazi

Edited: February 4, 2019, 4:29 PM · Here's my new video, please give your opinions (there's no need to be nice,just your straight, true opinion)

I did a "Duet" with Israeli famous singer Yardena Arazi.
I wrote the violin version, if someone wants i can publish the sheet music.
(By handwrite):

I categorize this piece with the "Classical-Pop" style that I'm advancing that has the aim to combine "Catchyness" with "High level professionalism", both musically and technically.
https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=2278

Currently the ideas of this style are:
1. The music should be catchy as possible, And easy to listen to. 
2. High level, "Classical" level performances. Both musically and technically. 
3. You can edit the classical pieces as you wish- cut parts, merge, even glue different pieces etc. In orderfor it to be catchy. 
4. New instruments are legitimate (as long as the high level professionalism is maintained).
5. "Relative" approach to intonation accuracy and other mistakes- better intonation is preferred and appreciated, but the Barrier for proffesional playing is decided by the player and the public- if the player and the public feel it is good enough, it is good enough.

Here's another example of piece and performance that i see as "leading Example" for the style(I'm not sure they will agree with it;)), that combines "Catchyness" with "High Level Performane":
"Tico Tico"- played by Berliner Philharmonical and Daniel Barenboim.

Replies (5)

February 4, 2019, 12:51 PM · This music is culturally alien to me and not the kind of thing I commonly hear in my part of the world, though I have heard similar to this played before on recordings, so I will comment from my vantage point.

Classical-Pop as you call it, is much different than either pop music or classical. To me it sounds like slightly lifted Classical music, seems to have more of a folk sound than a pop sound. The Pop music I hear has heavy beat emphasis and holds usually to 4/4 time from 74-130bpm. I would personally classify this more as Classical-Folk music centered on middle eastern ideas.
You managed to play along with it fairly ok pending a few small intonation incidents.
Interesting to hear what other cultures are doing.The recording looks older, maybe not a recent release?

February 4, 2019, 1:22 PM · You absolutely right,
This song is originally a Gypsy folk song-
But the idea in "Classical pop" is "Catchyness" with "High level professionalism", and it includes all syles.
I personally intend to do such variations on pop music too.
The "Tico Tico" is kind of pop music.

Edited: February 6, 2019, 7:00 AM · I view the "Waltzing Matilda"(Folk Australian song) of Ray chen also as "Classical Pop" leading example.
It is "Catchy" but also at very high professional level:

February 5, 2019, 6:45 AM · Hi David, I don't care what you call it, keep doing it. If you have a bit of time to play with pop stars, or the Daniel Barenboim's of this world, even vicariously, via video, go for it.

And Ray Chen showed us his oats, sure enough. He can play, and so can the quartet.

It is such a good idea for people to add to their hobby of music.

February 5, 2019, 8:10 AM · Normally I cringe when I hear Waltzing Matilda coming, - it’s become such a cliched way of people showing they are from, or have heard of Australia, but this was very refreshing and I loved it!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases